Friday, November 30, 2018

Sew Chaotically! ~ Simplicity's 1072 sweatshirt and pencil skirt. Meh. Save yourself the trouble and don't!


As promised, here's my report on Simplicity 1072, a pattern for which I had high hopes as I loved the inserts on the sweatshirt and the wide smooth waistband on the skirt.  From here....
...they look okay right????
I have tried a variety of DIY knit pencil skirts.  My best pencil thus far is a combo of the versions that Mimi G and So Sew Easy have up on their sites.  Still, I've been in search of a pattern that kept the simplicity of those, but added shape and a smoother waist band.  When I found this Simplicity pattern, it looked perfect!!!

Luckily, most of my online fabric purchases have been true to the color I see on my computer screen.  Here, complications started when this striped polyester from Mood arrived with a mustard/orange color palette that was much different from the yellow/red anticipated.  However, the fabric has a lovely hand and was a dream to work with.  Just the right amount of drape and substance.  No rolling.  Even though it was not Roo's favorite color combo, I thought I could make it work and decided to use it in a test of S1072 since I had was planning on using it for a lovely pink moleskin and grey scuba that she really does love.

The first quandary was sizing.  After checking pattern measurements (finished and un), as well as a conference with Ruthie, I cut the 12, which is the usual size I make for Roo in patterns from the Big Four, for both pieces.  It was huge! I had to cut down the skirt waist by 2 cm LESS than the markings for the size 8!!!  And STILL had to put in two darts in the back, before adding the wide waist band using 1 1/2 inch elastic.  A size and finish that I really love despite the other issues.  
Even with those tribulations, I think the skirt will still be a workable piece in Roo's wardrobe.



That brings us to the sweatshirt included in the pattern!  It went together okay.  But, mostly, despite the curves it seems to have in the pattern photo, not to mention a normal sized jewel neckline, it is just shapeless!!!  Roo is convinced that there was a line of clothespins up the model's back for the pattern sleeve photo shoot!!!  Whether that is the case or not ~ I am confident enough in my sewing skills these days to say that there is no way that the pattern, made as printed, will turn out as depicted ~ without significant modifications!!! 
I could have taken in the arms, slimmed and added curves to the side seams, and made the neckline differently (at least on subsequent iterations) but given that Roo was not the biggest fan of the colors anyway = NOT worth it.  SEW!  Do yourself a favor!  Make the Grainline Studio's Linden  sweatshirt!!!  It is awesome every time!

But, guys!!!  Check out that stripe matching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And though it is much larger than it appears in the photo on the pattern sleeve, the neck band is also perfection!  Roo does have a friend who is a bit more busty, with a love of these colors, who may inherit this top.  If that doesn't work out, I've encouraged Roo to use is as a PJ top or running layer.  Despite everything, I still had fun making it, though it is certainly more fun when the garment turns out to be a real fav!!

All and all, still a fruitful sewing adventure as I got to practice and play.  Nevertheless, it is highly unlikely that I will use this pattern again!!  I'm telling you - Linden Sweatshirt - people!!!  For my next knit pencil I'm going to give Lisette B6464 a try.  I've made and love the top and the kimono jacket included in the pattern, so hopefully the skirt will prove to be just what I'm looking for!  Sew chaotically!!! - les

2 comments:

  1. I think it all looks great on Rose ~ including the sweatshirt! You do a great job with knits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Was pretty tickled with all that stripe matching!!!

    ReplyDelete