Monday, November 26, 2018

Treatment #3 Update ~ CAPOX, ex-goblet cell adenocarcinoma and the GBD's!


Went to the hospital (well oncology office/clinic that is attached to a hospital) this am.  Had lab done.  Had our meeting with the oncologist.  I do NOT have the enzyme deficiency that can make your side effects to capecitibine (my oral medication) worse.  However, we learned that the test detects only 50% of those with the deficiency!  Reckon that has anything to do with its presumed infrequency of occurrence????? I was pleased to report that my stooling was down to about 4/day, but my onc wanted them fewer.  Oh, well.  Since they are down from 8-9+ per day, I'm pretty happy.  Nevertheless, she was okay with my trying to up the capecitibine to 1 tab in the morning and 2 at night, knowing I can go back to 1 twice daily if side effects worsen.

When she asked about neuropathies and I reported my current status:  Still very tingly in fingers and toes.  Feet burning, even last night.  Difficulty picking up an aluminum bowl from a nested set such that I pinched the crap out of a finger.  Can't hold a needle for fine work.  She felt she should hold my oxaliplatin dose today.  Administer it next week instead.  And then only if neuropathies have resolved and at a dose of 80% of my last two. (A 20% reduction.)  Additionally, my white count was down to 3.9 (which isn't horrible) but is a drop from the 6+ I have had on all my prior labs.  I am to go ahead and start the capecitibine as discussed.  I will also start alpha lipoic acid, a 600 mg tablet from the vitamin shop that my onc recommended to help with my neuropathies.

B thinks this decision was appropriate, indicated, and will have no adverse impact on outcome.  As he (and my onc) puts it....there is no need to risk permanent nerve damage from a drug regimen that is not certain to make a significant difference in outcome for those with my cancer and stage.  Additionally, some studies indicate that capecitibine alone can be an effective treatment.

For my part, I have mixed emotions.  I mean...NO.  I do NOT want permanent nerve damage.  And...truth be told...I would prefer to NEVER have any further treatment of anything EVER EVER NEVER!!!!  Still, I kind of had myself psyched up to get it done today!!!  And, I want to get rid of this whole dang business as soon as possible.  REALLY do NOT want to drag this crap out!  But, those are just feelings and good sense says ~ postpone til next week and see what happens. 

So, there we sit.


But, the view is still good.  Love to all.  Bubbles

No comments:

Post a Comment