Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Refashion #4 ~ This time WITH fashion...really!! (It's soooo bad!!!)


Rosie was my main coach, butt kicker and cheerleader getting me back into shape after lung surgery.  She's at it again.  This time, at least for now, using a slightly different approach!  She spent the afternoon with me yesterday.  We had the BEST time.  Her new tactic?  Getting my tummy back into shape by making me laugh until it hurts!!!!  It was WONDERFUL!!!

Let me explain.  This sewist "refashioner" thing I've been poking my thumb at ~
Here: REFASHION! (It covers a lot!)
And here:  Refashion #2 ~ and a buried lead from weird, wacky, melanoma world!!!!
And from just yesterday:  Refashion #3 ~ (albeit a couple of months ago!!!!)
~ with my household "refurbishments" is serious business!  It's a lifestyle.  It's an aesthetic.  It's a contest !!!  These peeps have serious skills.  Honestly - check out some of Sasha's refashions:
Pants into this amazing top 
I mean, she turned a suit into a suit! But...OMG!!!
And there's this amazing structured top and flowing skirt from Charlie, at Noble and Daughter.

Sorry...don't know who to credit for this image from the internet!
Sew!  It's for real!  Over the past couple of seasons, you may have seen various tee's and sweaters styled like this one.  Rosie is no roving fashion maven.  She has a good eye.  Knows and has her own personal, distinct style.  Still, she likes to play with the occasional trend and had admired similar tops when in a shop together a bit ago.  That got me thinking....  Happened to have an only slightly worn, purple sweater.  That we later discovered had a stain just below one elbow, but never mind!  Rosie is a purple durple!  Sweater a little more straight laced (pun intended!!  HA!!!) than what is likely optimal, but we refashioners can work around such minor difficulties!!  With that, we were off!

How hard can this be, right?  We started by slicing straight up the back.  Went to the trouble to serge raw edges, apply interfacing to edge, stitch into place.  Rosie had the great idea to "Fibonacci" the placement of the button holes I made for the ribbon to thread through.  (If you are like me, and are NOT mathematical geniuses, a Fibonaccci sequence is a series of numbers in which each number is the sum of the two proceeding numbers.)  Her plan made it so that the holes were further apart at the neck and closer together at the bottom.  Probably the only wise decision made in this entire process!!!

Okay.  It's not great.  Could be worse.  Maybe we just need another set of holes at the bottom?
Hmm....  Front not looking too good either....
Well, as Oonaballoona, aka Marcy Harriell, says, "Sometimes you just gotta turn that s#!t around!"

Okay.  Maybe not!
Roo found a better place for the ribbon!  Yes, that's B in the background!  Putting together a PDF pattern!!!  You are 100% correct!  I am totally spoiled.  They are playing ALL my games!!!!
Sometimes the better part of valor is to take control of the situation yourself!  Roo opted to stitch up the back/now front seam again and shorten the sleeves - cause FASHION (and stain removal)!!
A true fashionista!!!
Such sweetness.
I think we should burn the sweater in a dumpster fire.  But, I'm keeping the girl!!!
Yesterday was pretty busy all around.  Had recheck with surgeon.  He thought I was healing well and looking better.  Intimated that he would probably do the 3 month chemo plan.  Doubted I would need a port for IV access.  Would be happy to put it in, should I need it.  Said I could eat and exercise with no limitations other than what I felt up to.  No necessity to follow-up further unless I had a need.  Still haven't heard back from pathology or the tumor board at Vandy....so I guess we'll be calling them if we don't hear from them today.  Have appointment with local oncologist tomorrow.

In regard to my particulars:  Despite a 1 pound weight loss, I continue to eat very well - 4-5 times a day.  I have been sleeping more often in 4 hour increments, vs the up every 2 hour scenario, so that is good!  Over the past 3 days, as I noted in a previous comment, I have been doing the elliptical for 10 minutes at level 3.  Although, BEFORE I was doing 20 minutes at level 8 followed by core work (push-ups, sit-ups, planks, etc.) on days I didn't go to Barre or run.  But, as Carol wisely pointed out, I've got to put the past in the past and push on to my future.  So I am!!!

Rosie and I accomplished more than the destruction an innocent sweater!  We made concrete plans for garments I will be making for her in the next little bit.  She was also tickled with and did the final fitting for TWO super cute dresses I have been working on for her. Hopefully, I will be finishing those today.  But, most of all....we played and laughed and loved and lived.  Thanks, Roo!  I love you ever so much.  You are a blessing in my life. - mommy/les

4 comments:

  1. Good news all around and a sweater was saved in the process. Sounds like a successful day. Oh, definitely keep your daughter! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Celeste - well done Roo looks great - when do I come in for a fitting? :)

    Am glad you slowly getting back to normal, and while it may be a new normal (old normal may take time) you still seem much more active than the rest of us! I do go cycling and try to walk rather than drive but not your level.

    You have been through too much - unlucky with all your reactions to the meds but am hoping this now past and you can just get on and fight this new challenge, but with luck should be easier than mel.

    While you were extremely unlucky, you are blessed with an amazing family to support you and your husband backing you up with all the research. Must be a great source of strength.

    Well done and great you are back helping out on MPIP too

    Best wishes Mark DC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well... Y'all gave it a nice try! ;) And it sounds like you had fun doing it. I'm looking forward to seeing the cute dresses on Rosie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys!!! Mark, you are welcome for a fitting ANY time, hee hee! I could hook you up with a sweater, too! Yes, I am trying to accept "today" and move forward as best I can. The encouragement I've been given from all of you is a great incentive, wise reality check, and ever so uplifting! I am blessed to have the love of so many peeps...near and far. I am a lucky bug! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete