Friday, November 9, 2018

Tu' no eres mi jefe! CAPOX, round 2, day 5!!!


Some things are lost in translation.  Others become remarkably clear.  Working in a multi-lingual, multi-cultural environment in the Southern United States is fabulous and clarifying!!  It brings out the best in us and our country.  Commonalities, rather than differences, are the order of the day.  Parenting, love, food, life - are shared.  Everyone grows.  Everyone benefits.  It's a shame some of our leaders have not had these amazing experiences ~ or are unwilling to learn from them.  At any rate....

"Tu' no eres mi jefe!", is a refrain not infrequently heard followed by laughter in my office.  In English, it literally translates to:  "You are not the boss of me!!!"   In southern parlance however, that last ACTUALLY means:  "You can't tell me what to do!"

Bosses.  Bosses are critical in our lives, jobs, and country.  They can be the mentors, the leaders, we forever remember as critical to the development of our skills, strengths, and abilities.  They can also be a living nightmare, legitimately placing our happiness, security, and success at serious risk.  There are inhuman "bosses".  Fires, floods, cancer, accidents.  Hard to control.  Hard to overcome.  Up sides - none.  Still.  Zillions of peeps, surmount these and so many other extraneous horrors every day  ~ LIKE a BOSS!!!!  Interestingly, a pattern, the template sewists use in making garments, is referred to as a boss in French!!!  Further, sewists embrace Pattern Hacking!!!!  We take the BOSS to task!  Tu' no eres mi jefe!!!  We will widen, trim, dart, lengthen, shorten, ruffle, straighten, embellish, refine - you name it - ANY boss!!  We bend the boss to OUR will.  No boss will tell us what to do without gaining our respect and enthusiasm.

I have always believed I could create my own destiny.  I never thought I was better than anyone else.  But.  I figured if someone else out there could do this thing...  Then I could too.  I may not do it perfectly.  I may not like it.  But, I could do it.  Lord knows, despite being blessed with some of the best, I have certainly had plenty of run-ins with the BOSS!  Human, inhuman, AND as a sewing pattern!  Cancer X2!!!  And almost more devastating - cancer TREATMENT!  Do I need to rethink my ability to control my own life??  Maybe.  But I am more inclined to think that how I deal with the BOSSES I am forced to face IS how I create my destiny.

This week has been rather horrible, though not unexpected, given what we learned last round.  Eating doughnuts ended quickly.  Abruptly replaced by nausea, cramping and diarrhea.  We finally called the oncologist's office yesterday and decreased the capecitibine to 2 tablets in the am and 3 in the evening.  We'll see how that goes...combined with the [now] usual players of pepcid, immodium, marinol and levsin.  Neuropathies have been worse this round.  They started sooner during the infusion of the oxaliplatin and have been more complete and intense.  They've incorporated more of my hands, arms and feet, rather than just sticking to my fingers and toes.  My lips have been weird and draw into a pucker without my will.  I am worn out and my body aches...despite having done NOTHING but sit for 5 days!!! Still....

PERO, no eres mi jefe, CAPOX!  You think I can't crochet? 

Yep.  This is where I was Tuesday.  One square done.  One in development.
As of last night, the second square completed and attached to the existing one!
And while I'm sure Bentie will have much better pics...

...I thought you might like to peer out the window as do.  Here are three of the seven bluebirds who have been enjoying B's meal worm buffet!!!
Yes, melanoma, nivo, GCC, and now CAPOX has stolen much.  Yes, I am miserable.  I look and feel like crap.  I only hope any extraneous adenocarcinoma ex-goblet cells floating about look much worse!!! Still...  Tu' no eres mi jefe, CAPOX!  Tu' no eres mi jefe! - love, les

1 comment: