Saturday, October 28, 2017

Sew Chaotically! - African Wax Print Butterfly dress!!!


I looked longingly at African Wax Prints in New York and Paris (In this 'Travel Chaotically' story I wrote..."If only I knew what to do with an African wax print!"), but brought home none.  Partly because the incredible vibrancy and patterns they encompass left me rather intimidated when I pondered how to incorporate them into my wardrobe.  But, if I'm honest, there was a small niggling thought that somehow, it might be unseemly for this 53 year old white girl to be appropriating such fabric.  Then, in London, at a shop in Walthamstow Market, filled to bursting with the greatest quantity, diversity, and amazing wax prints I had ever seen - I threw caution to the wind!  I got skillz!  I can make something beautiful and wearable out of these fabrics!!  Furthermore, if we all spent more time experiencing and enjoying aspects of cultures different from our own...food, literature, poetry, music, religion - Hell, even a simple conversation! - wouldn't we all be better off??  Then, dear Oona (aka Marcy Harriell), whose wildly exuberant and truly lovely garments, and even more beautiful heart, have long inspired me, wrote this:  wax on, wax off  (Seriously guys!  Read her post....it shares so much more than whether or not one should, or could, utilize a particular fabric!!!)

Enough said!  Here is the start of my African Wax Print adventure!!!

I picked out this one.  Bright as it is, the pattern seemed to have a smaller scale that I think I can manage to truly put to work with pieces that exist in my wardrobe.

I chose this wild floral/honey comb pink and orange print with TWO borders, no less, for Ruthie!!!  I know she will be up to the challenge and I can't wait to see what she does with it!

B was set on this one.  Its wildness intimidated me!!  Could I really make a garment worthy of this fabric???  I really did love the pinks and blues.  Hell, you only live once!!  Done!  


The label for this particular piece!

I know nothing of this type of fabric...so I have no idea if my pieces are 'authentic'.  It matters not.  I like them so I'm rolling with them!  I scoured the internet for information about fabric care, but my findings were rather diverse and unclear.  Again...it was Oona to the rescue.  She kindly answered my query on her IG saying, "I pre-treat the fabric as I plan to care for it--either cold wash and delicate dry (in the dryer) if I'm going for a softer hand, or leave it as is (don't wash the wax out) and dry clean only!"  With that question answered...I washed and dried both my pieces.  They came out great with no discernible fading or shrinkage.  They were softer which I view as a good thing.  This last one is a bit different from the top two pieces in that it is more polyester-y if that makes sense as a descriptor.  I still had NO IDEA what I would make with them, but prepped thusly, I put them away with the rest of my London haul:  
Travel Chaotically! - London and the Cotswolds!! (and fabric shopping!!!!)

I have several things in my sewing queue that I am very excited about making and really LOVE the other fabric pieces I brought home.  But, THIS fabric haunted me!!!  I KEPT thinking about it!  What could I make with it?  HOW would I make something with it??????  Then...it came to me in a vision.  I literally woke up in the middle of the night and knew EXACTLY what to do...
I had purchased this pattern on a whim during a sale, with no clear idea of when or what I'd do with it.  But, suddenly, I knew that it would be perfect for this piece...the top half of the dress only....or at least I thought it would!!!  



For those who do not know, wax prints come in 6 yard swaths!  That's a lot of fabric y'all!!  I positioned the pattern pieces every way from Sunday, trying to decide which color swooshes I wanted where.  Then there was trying to come up with side and back seams that joined in a reasonable way.  I had already decided on a major cheat!  As I was not adding the bottom layer to the dress, there was no need for the front center seam the pattern called for.  However, the back had to have two pieces so as to have an opening for your head...

In process!!!  B was very patient and helpful with a woman obsessed!!!

And here she is!!!!

I think my pattern matching in the back is pretty awesome, if I say so myself!!

And I am Scott-boy stoked about the pattern placement of the collar band!!!!

Styling this baby is a little tricky!!  I think it will be a great holiday party dress.  I know it would be fab with sandals on the beach.

B likes it like this!

A brilliant butterfly dress that cannot help but bring a smile!!
Thanks for indulging my crazy whims and obsessions, Bentie!!!  Thanks for the inspo and bright light, Oona!!!  I can't wait to see what Ruthie does with her piece.  In my excitement, I have already made a friend a top with the remainder of this same fabric.  (Which required my learning how to do a full bust adjustment!!!  Y'all know that wasn't something that had previously been in MY wheelhouse!!!) Hopefully she will share pics with me soon!!  AND!!!!  I have great plans for my other African wax print!!!  Have fun with your brand of crazy!!!  May you have someone lovely to indulge you.  Sew Chaotically! - les

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You were truly inspired ~ I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was indeed!!! Can't wait to see what you dish up with yours!!!

    ReplyDelete