Friday, April 28, 2017

Sew Chaotically! - V8944 - DOTS!!!


Picked this pattern up for a couple of bucks at a Vogue discontinued pattern sale along with some rather odd fabric that JoAnn had in the denim section but is more like a substantial knit (not all the way to scuba) cause...well...it's blue and there were dots!!!!

While the pattern called for a lining and was in fact much looser fitting in reality than is depicted in the pattern pic, as many other sewists who evaluated it on patternreview.com had noted.....I kind'a winged it!  Oh, NO!!!!  I've become one of THOSE people!!!

Since I wanted this as an easy summer dress and the fabric was plenty substantial, I decided to skip the lining.  Given the pattern instructions used the lining to finish the neck and arms, I had planned to use bias binding instead.  But, again, as substantial and oddly stiff as this fabric was, despite its stretch, I decided to simply fold over and stitch with a cute little zigzag.

I considered leaving off the back zipper given the fabric's stretch, but feared that doing so might end up popping the stitches used across the bust and at the waist when I put it on.  So...I kept it in.  The seam across the bust did work out very well (at least for my small busted self!!) as a cool way to make a curved dart.  I did have to take the sides in a great deal from the size 12 that was supposed to fit my measurements.  Additionally, I ended up having to add two little darts at the back of the neck in order to avoid having it look as though it was made for Quasimodo.  Whether that was due to the pattern or the strange way this fabric behaved, I'm not quite sure.
Don't know that it will hold up for a life time, but, it washes up well, works as a jumper until spring turns to summer, and is a pretty fun little dress.  Haven't decided if I will give this pattern another go or not...


Happy Spring!  Sew Chaotically!!! - les

No comments:

Post a Comment