this plaid skirt.
It is thick, but drapes pretty well. The pattern called for interfacing to be used in the collar, front pieces and back belt. I did so in the belt, but it was pretty stiff and heavy so I passed on using it in the other pieces and I am glad I did. The sleeves were put in flat...per sewing instructions...and it worked like a charm. My only crisis was the belt...which, when made to size per pattern instructions was WAY too big for me. I didn't mind the looseness, but the weight of it and bulk in the back of the coat, made the front hang weird. Now...if I had had sense and foresight....I would have made the belt fit at the start. It is one of the first things you do...making it and attaching to the back at the side, long before sleeves and side seams happen....which is cool since it is then neatly attached within your coat. However, I was basically done when I figured out the issue. I could have taken out the side seams. But...being slightly lazy and extremely fearful that doing so would ruin the soft, slightly fluffy fabric, I ended up taking up the center of the belt to the appropriate size (by 4.5 inches to be exact!!!), and then using buttons to cover my "mess-up" and as a way to actually tack the belt in proper position to the back of the coat. So...there you have it!! Winter coats...DONE! I may make a fuzzy purple one for Rosie next year per her request and it should be easy knowing what I know now!! Interestingly, after having finished my blanket coat and looking about the internet for tips on making this one (There really weren't any...so here you go, peeps!!) I did find this: If you've never sewn a coat before start with one of these patterns!