Friday, July 23, 2010

Head docs

Saw both the neuro surg and neuro radiologists this morning. The radiologist was rather glib (as usual) and said that he was not impressed with the posterior lesion and didn't think it was anything. He was very pleased with the appearance of the frontal lobe lesion, stating that it was in keeping with his expectations for an area that had been irradiated so recently. That's about all he had to say on the matter. Didn't feel that there was a reason to do a repeat MRI any sooner than the one already planned as follow-up in 3 months, though if any of the other docs wanted it sooner then he would not object.

The neuro surg was sweet as usual and apologetic for not noting the occipital lesion initially and very sorry for any additional confusion or stress the new finding had wrought. He said he didn't think it was metastatic (because it hadn't "lit up" now or in the past, nor changed, etc.) though he apologetically said he still couldn't tell me what it was. He didn't think it was secondary to trauma. (Brent and I had postulated that it might have occurred in a bad fall I took down an entire flight of stairs with the back of my head thumping down each one several years ago.) At first he said, "Well, I think we should just go ahead and get another scan in about 6 weeks so that we can alleviate some of the worry." I just looked at him and said, "Whose?" He replied, "Well, your neurosurgeon's and his (pointing at Brent)! In an aside to Brent, he said, "She seems to be doing fine." We hashed it out a bit and Brent asked him, on a scale of 1-10, how worried was he that the lesion might be metastatic, and he said, "1". After all that, we decided to do the repeat MRI as scheduled, with the repeat PET, in 3 months. He too, was very happy with the appearance of the frontal lobe lesion and didn't feel that there was residual tumor there.

The whole thing is a bit disconcerting....I would have felt better had folks noted it and said, "Hey this thing is there, but we don't think much of it," and when it reappeared, we could all say, "Yep, there it is again." Brent will be checking in with my oncologist next week and see if she has anything to add and/or if she still thinks it wise to pursue a second opinion at this time.

I think it is an empty place in my occipital lobe where I had to delete some info because my brain was full and I needed some extra storage space for future sights!!!

"I see leaves of green, red roses too. I see them bloom, for me and you. And I think to myself, what a wonderful world. I hear babies crying. I watch them grow. They'll learn much more, than I'll ever know. And I think to myself....what a wonderful world." c

5 comments:

  1. Yay, Charlie re-did my account so that I can post again!

    Here’s hoping today’s docs are right, and everything is cool!

    …I see skies of blue, clouds of white
    Bright blessed days, dark sacred nights
    And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

    The colors of a rainbow, so pretty in the sky
    Are also on the faces of people going by
    I see friends shaking hands, saying how do you do
    They’re really saying I love you…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, yea...... Love you!!!! Cess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like good news to me!! As for having to delete some info for future storage, could you just stop it so us average people can try to keep up w/ you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was talking about you the other day. You were one of the two people who had the lung thing right from the start...saying, "I don't care, get a bronch and know for sure." The other was Don Cochran, the radiologist that did a VCUG on Rosie when she was two...who afterwards offered her candy. She looked at him, then the candy in his palm, took the candy and looked him straight in the eye and said, "I don't like you." ALL my other docs looked me straight in the eye and said, "Melanoma in the lung NEVER looks like that"...until they changed their minds, that is. So don't get started about "keeping up"!!!! I know whose got the smarts around here!!! Love you. C

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol. you know i am all about someone actually looking with their eyeballs instead of their xrays!! i love you too!!!!

    ReplyDelete