Sunday, November 7, 2021

Sew Chaotically! ~ Maternity Makes - from regular patterns!

Maternity patterns are surprisingly unavailable - especially in styles Roo liked!!!  So, here's what we did!  Once she was out of school, we went through her closet, culling what would absolutely not work in the coming months, and dividing the rest into what would work in the moment and things she could probably use as she went along.  Stretchy pencil skirts were great.  A few tops and skirts that had been taken in, were let out.  I made a button extender to use in some shorts and skirts through the summer.  We made our run to JoAnn's and I began to make our plans a reality...

Butterick 6458, with just a slightly longer curved front has served her well!  

For this dotty one, I added a little more volume to the tummy area by gently tapering out on both sides below the bust.

I made her several of these little McCalls 6074 dresses.  They are a simple knit V-neck with a bit of elastic to bring shape just under the bust.  The one above in the leaf motif and another of daisies on a navy background were shorter.  Below, in the citrus print, I made the longer version.

The Rumi Tank/Dress, a pattern by Christine Haynes, worked very well.  She has been using one of mine and enjoyed this one, made up in more of the dotty fabric, that I modified to have less of a racer back, so that she needn't wear a top under it when teaching.

And because we had so much of that fabric, I made her another little top using the traced Lands End Tank pattern for later!

The prettiest dress, which she wore at her shower, was this Simplicity 9134.  The only modification, was to move the pleats from the waist to just below the bust. The fabric, a lovely cushy crepe, was both easy and challenging.  It came together well, but I feared putting in the back zipper or finishing the neckline and sleeves with the machine would cause ripples.  So, I did my first pick stitched zipper.  It turned out really nice and pretty.  I felt like a very high fashion tailor!!!  For the sleeve and neckline finishes, I attached bias binding with the machine, but finished by hand.  I really enjoy hand work, so it was no trial for me.  On this busy, bold print it doesn't show up.  Though, you could argue, that's the point!  All the seams are smooth and lovely - as they should be.  I plan to install more zippers using a pick stitch in the future and have plans to use it as a decorative touch as well.

In the spirit of scrap busting, fun and pure sewing joy - I made up little Jam Jam tops, pants and onesies from the soft knits as I made things for Roo!  More to come on those as well as a few more maternity makes.  As Jeanne says, "Life is good!" ~ les

No comments:

Post a Comment