Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Sew Chaotically! ~"REAL" Maternity Makes from Tilly and the Buttons!

I knew that as the months rolled by using NON-maternity patterns would become more difficult.  Plus, as she got further along, Roo was gonna need some basics - especially bottoms.  I drafted a black pleated skirt designed to be worn above the bump.  I also made her two knits skirts using this Tilly and the Buttons - Agnes Dress - maternity version.  Through her own pregnancies, Tilly recognized the need for patterns for mom's to be and revamped these existing patterns from her designs for this purpose.  For the skirts, one grey and one tan, I simply used the bottom of the dress, inserting an elastic waist to be worn below the bustline.  While some mamas to be like things to hit below the bump, Roo preferred hers above.  I have no pics to share of these makes, but they have already proven to be flexible and useful as many of her existing tops have combined well with them.  I stitched up the entire dress from a nice stretch knit I had in my stash from Girl Charlee.  Because I wanted this make to last to the end of Roo's pregnancy, given the little ease it provided, I made it up one size up from her then actual measurements.  As some time has passed since I made it, that sizing choice was a good decision.  I loved it when she told me after first wear that she felt really cute!  When you're a good way into a pregnancy - or on any day really - that's a good thing!


This make is another maternity pattern from Tilly; the maternity version of her Bettine Dress.  It is stitched up in one of Roo's knit choices from our summer shopping.  Given greater ease in this version, even though I wanted it to last the duration of her pregnancy, I sized down one size from the Agnes, making this one to match her measurements.  It was a good choice.  Roo has really enjoyed this one and it was a surprising fan fav from her students!  Who knew?

It has been a fun adventure to work with Roo and find pieces from regular patterns that fit both her style and changing body.  Still, it was very nice to have these well thought out maternity patterns available.  Thanks, Tilly!!!  #maternitybettine  #maternityagnes  #tillyandthebuttons  #maternitypatterns

Sew chaotically! ~ les

No comments:

Post a Comment