Friday, March 17, 2017

Sew Chaotically! - Rumi Dress by Christine Haynes


I loved this dress (and top) the minute I saw it on various sewing blogs I was spying on!!!!  And now that I've made it, I love it even more!!!!


The fabric is a BLUE waffle knit I ordered from Mood sometime ago.  It washes and dries beautifully and has the perfect drape for this dress.  I used some bits of it in this Linden sweatshirt!!!

Having used those bits in the Linden, I was a little short in being able to cut the hem band for the dress as the pattern directs and instead just cut the dress to the size 18 length.  Initially, I cut the size 10 in all other dimensions, but ended up taking the shoulder straps down to a two (so the neck line didn't fall below my boobers!!) and the sides to a 6 at the bust graduating back to the 10 at the sides.  I did sew in some stabilizing tape to the shoulder seam to help prevent that seam from stretching.

The neck and arm bindings go on like a dream.  I just cut those pattern pieces down to match the size I settled on in those areas.  

I sewed the bindings in place using my sewing machine, then serged them, and finished them off with a zig zag stitch on my sewing machine. I serged the bottom edge of the hem, applied knit stay tape to give a little support and a clean edge when I folded the hem up, and zig zagged that in place as well.
This has been such a fun and rewarding sewing project.  Now the weather just needs to warm up so I can whirl around in my cute dress!!!  Sew Chaotically! - les

1 comment: