Thursday, July 22, 2021

Sew Chaotically! ~ Quilt #2 - Sashiko Crazy!

 

I've had this quilt running around in my head for a while!!!  It started upon seeing this pic in 2017.  The Sashiko by volunteers, 2012, Textile Museum of Canada. 

That inspo set me off on a variety of sashiko projects!  A Tessuti Annie Dress, as a top.   An embellished Lisette, B6464.   New pillows in 2020.  



This Kalle top I just realized I never blogged, from October 2020.  Stitched up in linen. Combined with Nani Iro Sewing Studio pattern book pants.





Somewhere in 2019, I started playing around with Sashiko on squares of denim harvested from jeans Roo didn't want anymore.  As I made more of them, I realized ~ maybe I could make the Sashiko quilt of my dreams!!!

In late 2019 Bentie made me a quilting frame!!!  I wrote about it here:  Sew Chaotically! ~ The best dude and the quilt frame he built!!!



I decided I needed to practice on a smaller scale than my grand Sashiko Quilt and so I stitched up a 60 X 60 quilt top from scraps using the Carolina Chain Quilt pattern.


Initially planned as a nice house warming gift for a dear one, sentimental B fell in love with it.  So - as my first ever real live quilt - I got it finished for him for Valentine's Day! 

With no more excuses, I finished all the needed sashiko embellished denim squares, picked and purchased material for the quilt top and backing.  Machine hemmed said squares, then machine stitched them onto the quilt top.  Using a hera marker, I traced a curvy template for quilting stitches between the squares and along the borders.  I used Quilters Dream 80/20 cotton/poly batting for the first quilt and will be using it again as I was very happy with the result.  But, for this one, B encouraged the use of a super nice silk, bamboo, tencel and cotton blend, also from Quilters Dream.  I am really glad I did as it matched the weight of the top and fluffed nicely after washing!  In March I loaded it on the frame with B's help. (She's a BIG girl!!!) and I was off.  I used DMC cotton perle #8 floss as I did for B's quilt and finished her up earlier this month!


For the binding, I simply turned and machine stitched the top to the back.  I had intended to hand stitch it, which I like doing, but was afraid it wouldn't be strong enough, given the weight of the quilt.



I made pillow cases to match along with a throw pillow since I had one extra square!

Getting a detail pic of the stitching is difficult!



I am ever so tickled with how it turned out!!  Thanks for your enduring support, B!!!  You make all my dreams possible!   ~ les

3 comments: