Saturday, February 13, 2021

Sew Chaotically! ~ She's done! B's Valentine Quilt...

Such a lot of learning and fun went into this quilt.  It developed over years as I collected bits of cloth left over from garment making.  Seeing Julie Lou's Carolina Chain Quilt was a real inspiration.  The realization that I'd need to practice before I embarked on my Sashiko Quilting Project especially since B made me an incredible Quilting Frame nudged this particular quilt to life!  I read many books and blogs, but as ever, the real learning began with simply beginning.  B helped me figure out loading the frame.  I think we did well. I did learn - in the end - that attaching the pieces to be quilted to the free edge of the leaders is best.  I quickly realized I did not possess the skill to create the teeny tiny stitches and delicate designs that some lovely quilters employ.  While I find their work beautiful, I know that even had I their talents, their style would not really fit my life nor this rustic quilt top.  From there I decided on a simple stitch, made as evenly as I could, using DMC cotton perle, #8 to frame the linear 'diamonds' in both directions.  To do this on my frame, I stitched up and away from me as far as the frame allowed for the rows perpendicular to the frame, leaving the threads hanging forward.  Then, I stitched to my left on both sides of the rows horizontal to my frame.  Once that section was complete, I rolled the quilt toward me to complete another section, picking up the threads where I had left off.  A simple linear, diamond pattern was used in the solid areas on the quilt edges.  These were marked prior to loading the quilt with a hera marker and stayed perfectly visible through the quilting process, the indentions washing out nicely after it was done.  The quilting along the rows was completed by stitching roughly 1 cm from the seams.  As I learned in making the top, utilizing a variety of fabrics made the quilting a bit more difficult than it would have been had they been consistent, as did quilting along all the seams, but it was worth it.  Both in making these random scraps useful and creating the design I wanted to achieve.  So...here she is ~   



Initially, I thought I was making this quilt as a house warming gift for a dear one, whose color preferences align very much with my own.  However, as I stitched, B's love and encouragement colored all the stitches.  He would mention his memories of the fabric purchases or the garments the scraps were from as he checked on my progress.  His lovely frame and endless encouragement made it all possible.  So as I stitched, as though with a mind of its own, this quilt became his!!!  As it should be!  In time, quilts for others will be purposely made.  But the love in these stitches and this project, belong to him.  Thanks, B! 

It looks right at home in his chair, doesn't it?

I am so pleased with what this room has become.  Most of the furniture purchased more than 30 years ago.  Books we love.  B's art.  My handmade afghans, poof, and pillows.  This - is us.  Happy Valentine's day, B!!!  ~ love, les  

2 comments:

  1. Special quilt. It warms the heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And all the other parts of your bitty body, I hope!!!!

      Delete