Monday, May 4, 2020

Sew Chaotically! ~ Romero Trousers - With so much love and thanks to Mary Anne...


Today is Melanoma Monday.  So dubbed to kick off the Melanoma Awareness Month of May.  Wearing orange to represent!  The top is the Kalle Shirt from Closet Case Patterns, made last summer.  A make I have really enjoyed.  But the bottoms and the love that went into them is the real story today.

They are the Romero Trousers, pattern from Pauline Alice.  I first made shorts from the pattern for Roo last summer:
 
Both versions are size 40, made with no changes other than using a self-drafted contoured waistband and 1/2 inch pinched out at centerback.  The pattern is very well drafted and a lot of fun to make. Here are the deets from making her a previous pair:   Roo's Purple Romeros
But, the two Romeros made for Roo are NOT where these pants started!  They started with a dear friend and her love, her willingness to put forth no small effort in the midst of her busy life as a nurse, homemaker, mother to three active boys, daughter, friend to many, wife to a busy pastor and therefore his church - And that's just the tip of her iceberg! - for me.  On seeing this somewhat whiny post of mine, back in September 2018 as I worked to rediscover my strength and place in the world as I recovered from my second cancer diagnosis and two abdominal surgeries:  Tales from REHAB - Part 1!, inspired by the lovely Lliria dress, by Pauline Alice  I pictured in that post, Mary Anne went out of her way to encourage me to carry on and make me smile - with hope.  Sending this:



From the minute I got that card and those amazing buttons, I knew that they would become my Mary Ann Romero Trousers.  Thank you my dear friend.  It has taken a minute for me to get it together.  The gift you gave has been more sustaining through those minutes than you know.  I now have a suit of armor, fastened with bright red love and strength, that protects me and makes me smile with every wear.



And that Lliria dress?  I have the fabric.  Had to get some slightly smaller buttons.  But, I think you will approve.  Can't wait to show you my Mary Anne Lliria!!!  We cannot all be the amazing woman you are.  But, you have shown me the incredible power that reaching out to those in need has to transform and inspire.

I have been blessed with more kindnesses from my dear peeps than I deserve.  I am ever so grateful to each of you.  Thanks for a gift so much greater than buttons, my dear Mary Anne! ~ love, les

No comments:

Post a Comment