Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Sew Chaotically! ~ A Dream Deferred - now realized!


Having learned the hard way that sometimes it really is best to eat dessert first, here's my finished room!!!!  I really love how it turned out!!!  Check out the story below...



Long ago, in the time before colon cancer (specifically ex-goblet cell adenocarcinoma of the appendix) and COVID, in other words August 2018, just before getting what were to be the last of my follow-up scans for Stage IV melanoma and leaving on an amazing trip to Italy, I decided to embark on a make-over for my "wooden couch" so dubbed by my dear one, Mary Ann!!!  HA!!! Brent and I bought this Pine Factory furniture when we first married and had the cushions re-covered when we moved into our current house.  So it sat.  Utilitarian.  Comfy.  But after twenty years of Karm and kiddos, definitely getting a bit worn around the edges.


No problem!  It was time for a change and I had imagined a vivid picture of what I wanted to turn it into!!! We found a shop to do the work.  A man who turned out to be a really cool and sweet guy came over to discuss reupholstering these pieces.  We picked out the fabric.  A few days later he picked up the furniture.  All was right with the world.  Well!  Moments later all hell broke loose!  My diagnosis, surgeries and colon cancer crazy soon followed.  He must have thought things were nutters indeed as B became very hard to get a hold of and the woman he had met who had been perfectly fine was suddenly hospitalized.  At any rate, thanks to his understanding and patience, eventually he and B worked out a time to trade furniture and payment.  I have not been able to thank him properly for the excellent work he did, til now!!!

During my convalescence, Ruthie helped me start the process!  We each did a piece of sashiko stitching on denim remnants while watching Big Little Lies.  An activity is always nice, isn't it, Shay??? For deets and close ups of Ruthie's excellent work and my sad results - check out this post - from November 2019 when I finally managed to turn them into pillow covers!  Sew Chaotically! ~ Sashiko pillow cases, done!!!  Yep!  For those who thought it couldn't be done - there is something that will definitely slow my ass down!  Chemo!  BLECH!!!! During that same period, I realized the throws and afghans were getting a bit ragged, too!  Well!  No worries.  I could certainly create a new one while sitting on my chemotherapied/CBD'd ass!  Indeed I did!  Sew Chaotically! ~ Crocheting under the influence....  Wonky though they were, with the first steps in the dream direction complete, there was a bit of rearranging to be done.  Captain chairs switched with rocker and recliner and - POOF!!!  Finally!  The perfect sitting area off the kitchen/dining room!!!


Speaking of POOF!!!  Since B's recliner has a foot rest and my rocker does not, I decided to make one!!!  Using scraps of denim and other leftover remnants within and without, I finished the POUF I'd imagined and been saving scraps for over the past several years just a few weeks ago! Sew Chaotically! ~ Stay home for you! Stay home for them! And, if you like, Make a POUF!!!


Following the pouf, I got busy on additional, long planned sashiko pillow covers.  The final step!!!  And when dear Kay gifted me some burgundy denim in just the right shade to match the wonky afghan and the pouf - BAM!!!  I got her done!

They are just simple envelope cases with overlapping pieces, that can open in the back, but close with cute buttons!!!  The sashiko pieces are appliqued on the front.  For all my prior sashiko embroidery I used regular embroidery needles.  For these bits I finally had a sashiko needle and while obviously not required, it has been a very nice improvement, as it is sharper and longer, especially considering the continued neuropathies in my fingers.





Somewhere along the way, I also crocheted the navy throw on the couch.  It, if I say so myself, is NOT woppy-jawed!  HA!!!  I should do one of those ads - a little compare and contrast of - "Your brain on drugs!"  - versus otherwise!!!  Still, with all the wonky and not so wonky pieces, I am very pleased with the results.  In this time of COVID, I offer this room as proof, that even when it seems least likely, a dream deferred doesn't mean forever.  Dreams deferred do not always "dry up like a raisin in the sun".  Sometimes, we just have to hang on.  Press forward, even if things are tilted on more than just their edges.  Together - we can reach our dreams - whatever they may be.  Thanks to each of you who helped me see this dream through. ~ love, les

#stayhome  #primarycolors  #hyggehome  #staystrong  #pulltogetherstayapart

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Frankie!!! Can't wait til y'all can visit and we can have adventures and 'be lax' together!!!

      Delete
  2. I love it! And it's special because you did it all yourself. Redecorating can take some time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is a "living" room.

    ReplyDelete