Saturday, January 4, 2020

Sew Chaotically! ~ 3/5's of Christmas sewing! M6044 and M7349


There was so much fun in this making!!!  I had it planned in my head for the longest!  FIRST!  There was fun FABRIC shopping in New York!!!!  We made a crazy trip in October that rambled from D.C. through Maryland, Delaware, New York, Connecticut,  Rhode Island, and back to New York that I have yet to share.  B was a trooper and plotted our fabric shopping course within the stores and without! Mood was uncharacteristically organized while B & J Fabrics was in a bit of a shambles.  Loved them both.  Just say'n!  We had a great time going through the excellent shirting at Mood. (The selection is amazing at B & J as well - it will just cost you more!) 

For the boys I used McCall's 6044 which I've made three times previously.  Once for the Jamester in a large exactly per the pattern and twice with some modifications to create a looser fit around the waist.  You can check those versions here:  Three MEN's shirts! Three happy boys! M6044  While the current makes are short sleeved, from prior experience the long sleeved style is drafted very well and goes together easily.  For those considering this make, you should know the pattern does not have a back yoke.  That makes it quick and easy to stitch, but if you feel you need the ease that a pleat below the yoke provides, you might keep that in mind.  For this round, I made J's in a large with no adjustments except for narrowing the collar piece starting at about 3 inches as you work toward the point since it seemed to flare out a bit too much.  I like that change and will keep it for all future makes.  For B, who has a tendency to dislike clothing to touch his body, I created a yoke from the existing pattern pieces and did indeed give him the more typical pleat found on a man's shirt.  While it turned out very well, I don't think it was necessary.  J's straight large fit him perfectly and that's probably what he'll be getting next time!

Aren't they the cutest???  (Didn't really intend for them to "match", but there you go!)

Very pleased with my pattern matching - gotta say!!!
When sewing for others I do tend to be more careful!  Didn't want to rip through those buttonholes!!!  Despite all my care, after making B's I realized I positioned his pocket on the "wrong" side.  Men's shirts with a single pocket typically place them on the left front!  Poor Bentie!  Oh well, live and learn!  He insists he doesn't mind!  HA!!!  I considered moving it, but feared puncture holes would remain in this fine and tightly woven shirting.
When purchasing Roo's fabric, I had B6680 in mind.  But, when I asked her preference, she wanted her TNT M7349!  The fit and flare shape IS perfect on on her and the pattern goes together perfectly!  Here's a link to prior makes:  Rose, a floral beauty!!! (Oh, and M7349.)  The only difficulty was quantity of fabric.  For some reason this lovely substantial perfect purple ponte with a nice drape from B & J was quite narrow and I had purchased only the 1.5 yards required for B6680 instead of the 2 3/8 needed for M7349!  YIKES!!  Definitely a "make it work" moment!!  I had to narrow the skirt a bit and make the "sleeve" with a smidge of navy ponte from my remnants.  Given the slight variegation in the purple and identical weight in the navy remnant - I think it works!!!  Leaving me just enough to make the neckband from the purple.

Aren't they a fab couple?
Her Daddy's girl!

Here's to many more fun makes and shared family time in 2020!  Live and sew chaotically! ~ les

2 comments:

  1. Those all look fabulous! Men's shirt making is not easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It does get easier with practice! HA!

    ReplyDelete