Friday, January 11, 2019

Sew Chaotically! ~ Three MEN's shirts! Three happy boys! M6044


Since October I have had a blast sewing for others.  This challenge was no exception.  Three men's shirts for three of my fave boys!  The challenge was that I had none of their actual measurements nor bods available for fittings.  But, there was a lot of love and a resident "Mannie" (aka B!!!) to use as a block for adjusting the garment smaller or larger in areas I felt appropriate for each recipient.  I chose this McCall's pattern as it had good reviews and the simple lines I wanted.  Poor Jamester's shirt was the guinea pig, in that I made his first.  For him, I made a straight medium with no adjustments.  It went together very well! Fabric choice by his girl, Miss Roo!!!

Rather lame pic, as MY "mannie" is way too small for this shirt....but still!

Much cuter on the Jamester himself!!!
Now - nice flannel versions for my Dear Double D's.  Pic from a celebration with Dan and Don a couple of years ago!




I had fun playing with the pockets!
The placket for the cuff was super easy because the sleeve was made in two pieces.  Leaving a portion open and hemmed formed the placket. I flat felled the seams using one of my favorite tricks - sliding a plastic clip board underneath the fabric so pinning is easy while the piece remains on my ironing board.
Ta dah!!!!!
And they're done!


I think they liked them!!  At any rate - I had fun!  Sew chaotically!!! - les

4 comments:

  1. WOW!! To say I'm "impressed" would be way off! But, in a way, I'm not "surprised" though. I've seen too many of your posts to see what a fabulous seamstress you are. My Mama sewed like a professional like you, Bubbles (and Bubbles really fits you now. I can almost literally see bubbles all around you). Growing up, especially in my teen years, kids at school wanted Mama to make THEM clothes! I picked the patterns and material and she did the sewing. She tried to teach me but I couldn't sew a straight seam even with a seam guide! Anyway, I digress. You write about sewing for the men in your life. Mama always said she couldn't sew for guys. Never really gave areason but just would say she couldn't. Never sewed for Daddy. Only made my younger brother a red faux leather "James Bond" coat when he was 10 (47 years ago so you'll know). She never knitted anything for them either except our Christmas stockings. She knit and sewed for herself but when I came along, I was the one who was the recipient of how she used her gifts. I was truly blessed. YOUR family is truly blessed and I know they know it but I want you to know from someone on the outside looking in. I stand in awe. Don't ever stop! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too sweet! Thanks for the words of love and encouragement in all ways. Sometimes I feel that I foist my labors upon my dear ones! HA! Men's clothing is 'harder' to me just because they are LARGE!!! I felt like I made 3 coats!!! It was fun. Wishing you a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such professional tailoring! And the recipients are definitely tickled with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I think they really were (are)!!! It was fun.

    ReplyDelete