Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Across Nine Aprils...


I live in one of the most beautiful places on earth.  And while I have been lucky enough to see the beauty of many other places on the planet, I try to actively appreciate nature's bounty as she explodes with blossoms, large and small, right outside my front door.

The poignancy April brings is colored by my dance with melanoma.  Nine years ago today, I had the right upper lobe of my lung removed after having had radiation to my brain 3 days prior.  Since then I have recorded this date, taking note of its gifts, as I make my way Across Aprils I am never sure I'll get to see.
There are my beautiful Kwanzan cherry trees B planted for me in 2008.  Five years after my initial melanoma diagnosis when he thought I was done with cancer!!  Poor boy! 
Jacobs Ladder in my shade garden.
Virginia Blue Bells
Appropriated Yellow Trillium
Though Burgundy Trillium would surely be a better name, this one is actually called - Toadshade. I guess little toads need their shade too!
Bluets and violets by the creek.
REAL Cherry trees B added to the others in 2017.
I am thankful for the violets that make up our 'lawn'.  Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that crushed it. ~ Mark Twain
I love watching the May Apples unfurl their umbrellas and bloom.
My lovely Wood Poppies must be the happiest of flowers.
Bleeding Hearts - quietly lovely.
Lily of the Valley - so dainty and perfect!
A beautiful pale pink azalea - or fort - just a few years back, for Ruff and the kiddos!
Columbine
Great White Trillium
Wild Geranium
White Trillium.  A flower that embraces the beauty of growing older, as aging blossoms turn pink before they fade.
Another Columbine
Fern, phlox and crested dwarf iris.
Another lovely azalea
Golden Alexander
A fancy columbine!
Ferns unfurling
Maiden Hair Fern
Star Grass
Rhodies
Lovely heart shaped leaves of the red bud.
A delicate clover of some sort.
Yet another azalea!
My dependable yellow peonies. Always reminding me of Ruthie and Granny and their love of yellow flowers.
My crazy Encore Azaleas who like to show off multiple colors!
Green berries promising BLUE ones in July!
My first rose of the season.
Yes.  I am lucky.  To be here.  To live in this place.  To enjoy this moment.  To bask in such beauty.  May your days and years be filled with ever so many beautiful Aprils.  ~ les

4 comments:

  1. All beautiful ~ and you know I LOVE your yellow peonies ~ but, those rhododendrons are just absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the peonies really do make me think of you! Aren't you glad we both have our beautiful gardens? Simple beauty, like your amazing drift roses, can bring such joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flowers make me so happy! But not as much as having such a wonderful friend like you in my life :)

    ReplyDelete