Thursday, April 19, 2018

Sew Chaotically! - McCall's 7726, wide legged faux paper-bag waist trousers!!


I've worn real live paper-bag waist trousers and loved them...but for all their apparent insouciance they can be tricky to wear and keeping the gathers in place over the course of a day can be difficult.  When I saw this pattern, with what I suppose you call box pleats (???), I knew it would be perfect!!!  I was actually thinking of making them in a light weight denim but when I found this really lovely fabric at JoAnn's...well...there you go!  It washes and dries perfectly and was easy to sew.  Thanks goodness, since I had to make this simple, well drafted pattern difficult with my plaid matching!!!



And, YES!!!!  Pattern matching of which I am inordinately proud!!!  Right down to the belt loops!!!!  I cut a straight 12, adding no length as the pattern allows for a deep hem so I had plenty of material to play with.  I took in the waist and hip at the side seams after fitting.  My only change was to add some interfacing to the inner waistband facing which is simply the top edge of the pant folded down.  The pattern makes no recommendation for this, but if your fabric is as fluid as mine and you don't want your faux paper-bag waist flopping down, it is probably something to consider.




I really love these pants!!!  The perfect combo of "men's wear" made more feminine with the fluidity of the shape.  Still planning on another pair...possibly a bit cropped...in that soft denim if I can find the right material.  Or maybe a grey flannel for winter????  Sew chaotically! - les

No comments:

Post a Comment