Friday, May 24, 2019

Sew Chaotically! ~ Cute linen top and refashioned skirt! A message about scars.


Recently I've embraced going through my stash, utilizing ALL bits and bobs, rethinking patterns into new uses without buying more, completing planned projects, and filling some holes in my wardrobe.  I've added needed robes and gowns.  Found ways to utilize scraps (from seam binding to pouf-to-be stuffing, to tops for play) and refashion unused items into more useful pieces.  This outfit ticks a couple of those boxes!!!

From these two patterns, the one on the left given to me from a friend who had been gifted it from another, and an old a-line skirt pattern I've used a zillion times, along with....








...some green floral print quilting cotton from a "play sack dress" when I was pregnant, lactating and chasing small children that I haven't worn in YEARS, but had saved because the fabric was pretty, combined with a bit of fabric purchased for what purpose I know not....back when Roo was about 4 years old...used only to make a little apron for her at one point ~ I made this!!!!

A light weight linen blend with beautiful drape, probably from the now defunct Hancock's Fabric.

Loving my roses, brought to one part of my yard from my childhood home many years ago with a sprig planted along this trellis last year.  Skirt made with already existing slits in the material cause I had to...and...I like it!!
Ta-dah! Useful pieces that can be happily worn in lots of combo's from 'worthless' remnants!
Continuing May's Melanoma Awareness ~ just as pretty outfits can be created from things that are scarred and could easily be tossed in the bin as ruined, marred, no longer of use ~ so can a beautiful life...

Or as I put it SCARS are more than skin deep. The love that sees me through....

And there is this beautiful paragraph from: Little Bee, by Chris Cleave

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, Do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

Live and sew chaotically! Scars and all.  ~ les

2 comments: