Thursday, August 1, 2019

I arrived ALIVE at 55!!!


Back in the day, when the max speed legally allowed on our interstates was posted at 55 miles per hour, there was a slogan - "Arrive alive!  Drive 55!"  That phrase kept running through my mind as my 55th birthday drew nearer.  Though things were certainly touch and go at various points over the past year, I made it!!!  I arrived alive at 55!!!

But, I did not arrive alone.  I owe ever so much to my dear ones.  Those who physically cared for me.  Wiped my bootie.  Carried me to the chair, the bathroom, the bed, the chair, the...  Cooked me special food.  Read me stories.  Held my hand.  Made me smile. Made sense of the senseless.  Sent encouragement and love through endless texts, DM's, cards and calls.  Providing me with strength when mine was nonexistent.  I would not be here without each of you.  It took a village.  I am ever so grateful for mine.

I do not begrudge growing older.  It is a privilege denied to many.

Much love to you all.  Look out 56!  Here we come! ~ les

2 comments:

  1. When I was newly diagnosed with stage IV melanoma, 4 years ago, your blog was like a life ring I accidentally came across in an ocean of sad and discouraging information. Your personal story, your posts on the latest and greatest, or not so great, drug treatments, and your take on those treatments has been incredibly helpful. You are among those dear ones that I thank for supporting me through my melanoma journey. Thank you so very much. And Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwe, thanks so much for your kind words and warm wishes! Glad to have been there for you in some small way. It takes a village!!!

      Delete