Saturday, June 9, 2018

Sew Chaotically! - A small ASCO break and an easy purple, almost maxi - McCall's 7242


This little red dress (below) was probably one of the first "harder" things I made.  The material was pretty cheap and has not held up as well as it might have, but the look is easy and it has gotten a lot of wear.  On examining it for this make, I found sooooo many mistakes - some known and some a surprise!  Live and learn, right???

My "flimpy" version of this dress got a full report here:  Cute little summer dress ~ McCall's 7242
But, with that history and this inspo, I wanted to make another!
With that, I opted for a longer, sleeveless version.  My only real complaint with the first dress was that the "waist" was a bit high for me - something I've learned to deal with ahead of time since.  So, I lowered that by an inch.  Additionally, as many other sewists had noted - given the way the pattern has you insert elastic to the waist, stopping about an inch to either side of the button band - the dress tends to gap open in that area.  I had to add snaps there to fix the problem in my red version.  For this one, rather than use elastic, I simply made two button holes, one on either side of the button band, and inserted a tie all the way round through the tunnel made for the elastic!  Problem solved.  My "tie" may, or may not, be a shoe lace!!!  Hey, use what you've got!



Pretty happy with my fun easy summer dress!!  I can see one in linen for next year.  Sew chaotically!!! - les

2 comments:

  1. That looks so pretty on you ~ and I must say, you are well coordinated with your rug and door! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all about that BLUE!!! Hee hee!!

    ReplyDelete