Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Sew Chaotically! ~ Scarlett blouse from

As promised - a delayed post on an exceedingly delayed make - the second "special" long planned top stitched up this spring - The Scarlett Blouse, from Le Laboratoire Familial, made up in Liberty of London cotton voile from B&J fabric acquired on our incredible New York to Paris trip in 2017!

I was drawn to the simple but classic design with it's asymmetrical closure the first time I saw this top!  Having used a variety of French patterns, I have become pretty well versed in French sewing terms, so what with my trusty B as translator when things were confusing and a video tutorial on their site (though the filming is so close to the machine stitching away, hands block lots of the shot and perspective in almost nonexistent) putting the pattern together wasn't that difficult.  The pattern indicates that you simply gather the ruffle, but versions made by other sewists used pleating and I loved the look.  I make a size 40 in most French patterns to accommodate my broad shoulders, though I am less buxom and with a narrower torso than their block seems to call for.  So, I curved and took in the side seams to better fit my shape.  I also lowered the neckline by a couple of centimeters.  I will warn fellow stitchers that the placket is rather narrow.  I might widen it should I make it again.


The only difficulty I encountered was when I put the side seams together and realized that they were most decidedly different lengths.  As I pondered how I could have made such a drastic cutting error, I examined the pattern pieces more closely.  The error wasn't mine!!!!  A you can see from the pic above, the back is a good deal shorter than the front!  Luckily, I was just able to turn up enough of the back after attaching a lace hem edge.  I am surprised other sewists haven't mentioned this in their reviews.  Perhaps, the error is not in the PDF version (I have the printed pattern) or was corrected in later versions.  At any rate, you have been forewarned!!  HA!

 

I am quite tickled with how it turned out.  It should easily dress up and down while serving as a perfectly combined memento of our NYC/Paris trip!  Thanks, B! 

Sew (and travel - when you can) Chaotically!!! ~ les

2 comments:

  1. Amazing work for someone with no spatial abilities!

    ReplyDelete