Sunday, August 23, 2020

Sew Chaotically! ~ Alter it August: From dress to skirt to top to the world! ALTER IT = VOTE!!!!!


One of my earliest makes was:
a) a pretty good rendition of my goal.
b) a HUGE learning experience.
c) worn a good deal.
d) flimpy.

Yep.  All of that.  You can read the entire story of the 'flimpy' dress here:  2016: Cute little summer dress ~ McCall's 7242  Not only was the material flimpy, it had flaws in the printing and the least little thing would put a bit of a 'run' in it.  I jacked up the collar.  Though having made the pattern twice now and gained a great deal more experience, I can tell you - there are some things about how it's drafted that just ain't right!  Still, the material is lovely on the skin.  I like the color and print.  So, I wore it!!  But, now - it is worn.  What to do?  Alter it!  Twice!!!

She was most often worn with a belt and jacket to cover the collar and the fact that the elasticized waist was odd.
Given her issues and worn and weary status, this summer I decided to hack her into a skirt.  I started to fold and stitch the waist band, when suddenly - and I don't know why, given my knowledge of this flimpy fabric - making a paper bag waist seemed like a good idea.  It wasn't.  Fabric this flimpy is NOT going to remain standing through summer heat and my activity!!!  Still, she got a couple wears in that iteration!
FREE PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:  Don't boo!!!  VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sew!  Given my lack of success you'd think I'd give up!  NOPE!  I turned her upside down.  Kept the button placket in center front.  Cut her into a hacked Paris Top by Orageuse leaving off the sleeves and cutting the cute shoulder details and neck facings from the skirt pockets.


There!!!  I think I'll keep her this way.  She should be good for a few more wears!!!

Like my dress, our world is jacked in too many ways to count at the moment.  Still, there is beauty and value under all the mess. If we don't like what we see, we have the power to ALTER IT!!!!  Make things better.  Create a world that reflects what you value and need for you and your loved ones.  Just like we sewists can change our makes, we can ALL change our leadership.  Don't like how things are going?  ALTER THEM!!!  VOTE!!!

Stay safe.  Be the change you seek! VOTE! - love, les

No comments:

Post a Comment