Friday, August 21, 2020

Sew and Live Chaotically! ~ Quarantine-while means Mask Making - Japanese Sewing Book Masks!


Mask Making!!  Not exactly happy sewing, but happy I can do something to help.  In a rush, I made my four kiddos some masks back in May.  They were quick and dirty, but they did what they needed to do!  All were made with two layers of tightly woven cotton left over from prior makes with a layer of melt blown filter fabric inserted between.  Much praise to the many pattern companies who have been incredibly generous in providing an abundance of free, downloadable mask patterns.  Here's my take...

For the tri-fold version above I made a bit of a mish-mash of the Tilly and the Buttons version (which has a great how-to video) and McCall's Face Cover.  I added a nose wire between the pieces.  They work pretty well for a variety of face shapes, but do tend to get "eaten" if you have to talk a lot while wearing.  
Freddo and I preferred the State the Label version.  My other creatures felt that it was too small.  I could certainly tweak the size, but there you go.
Knowing I needed to make more, I reviewed tons of mask patterns offered via the internet and considered adapting the patterns above.  Simultaneously, the sewing community was mask making like crazy and kindly sharing their tips.  Through them I found what I consider to be the BEST mask pattern:  Japanese Sewing Books - Free Mask Pattern Download – Contoured 3D Face Mask  Several sizes are included.  I made the "large" for my ladies and the "XL" for my men folks.  There are additional sizes.  An XXL, M, S, and XS with measurements included.
Armed with that finding, I made 40 for more peeps and teachers at my daughter's school.  Again, all are two layers of tightly woven cotton with the blown filter fabric sandwiched between.  You can use ties or elastic around the head or ears.  With elastic at a premium, for the most part, I used ties made from bias binding, but also made use of a strange colorful collection of shoe laces we had on hand!  Ties do make it easy to fit heads you don't have access to!
The link shared above includes a great video tutorial.  But, just to give you an idea of how I layer the pieces with the filter ~ stitch edges of your mask pieces, inner most bits on the outside.
I had hoped the way this mask is stitched and folded - almost origami style - would obviate the need for a wire nose piece, and while it does better than any others, the use of 4 - 4 1/2 inches of plastic covered wire really does make the fit much better.  I insert it between the layers, after I've stitched the edges as seen above, turned/pressed the layers, and top stitched around the top and bottom.  After pinning the wire in place, I stitch at either end, then run a line of stitching just below it.  A zipper foot or regular foot with the needle positioned toward the edge helps the process.   Other sewists are placing a nose wire in a tunnel from which it is removable for laundering.  So far, mine are holding up well to washing in the machine and air drying.
Here's how it looks inside when finished.
You can easily use elastic, or pieces of stretchy knit fabric, to create loops to be worn over the ears - elastic to go round the head - or ties as I have here.  If you do opt for ties, it is best to attach them at the side, so they won't keep slipping when the wearer tries to tie them in place.  You also need the longer portion toward the top.  Just play around with it to see what works best for you.
And there you have it!
These are quite comfortable in that they stay in place, do the job they need to do with a good occlusive seal, yet stay away from your face in a way that facilitates breathing and speaking!  Sew!  On to another batch. Making the ties is the most time consuming and least fun part! Although...
I do have a secret weapon!!!!  B has been helping me in my production line!!  He has become quite adept at turning and pressing, making bias tape and pinning nose pieces in place!!!
There!  Another batch of ties done!
Just in time for another batch of 15!
And another 4!  I thought these turned out really cute!
More FREE mask patterns:

This one was very tempting to me and has good reviews among sewists.  It is similar to the Japanese Sewing Book Pattern - Free Mask pattern by Aplat

This one is similar to the State the Label pattern above - Victory Patterns free face mask pattern

Along the same lines - Free from Craft Passion

Also tempting and along the State the Label lines, though with a bit more fabric and fit beneath the chin, in multiple sizes - Dhurata Davies free mask pattern

Simple tri-fold version, with pocket for filter - Makers Habit free mask pattern

Similar tri-fold version - Butcher's Sew Shop free mask pattern

Another simple folded version - Free from Fibre Mood

Simple folded mask with ties - free from Mood Fabrics

Includes a sewn and no-sewing version - Deaconess Face Mask

NOT free, but with a piece of fabric under the chin - cost = 2 pounds, supposedly donated to charity -Trend Patterns PDF

Take care.  Wear a mask.  Pull together and stay apart!  Much love to the sewing community for all the info and support they share. Great thanks to all the pattern makers who made their patterns available and free to the world!!!  Hang tough, guys! - les

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You might like it. I like the look of the Dhurata one that you use as well!

      Delete