Monday, September 26, 2022

Sew Chaotically ! ~ One more summer scrap buster!! Vogue 8944

 A simple pretty make, with a bit of a back story!!!

A couple of years ago, my dear friend and neighbor went through her stash and gifted me several pieces.  It included two embroidered table runners (?).  One more burgundy and the other a bit more peach toned.  I used the latter to make this wrap skirt for Roo in 2020.  Bet you can guess where I used the other runner!

While the runner was pretty much sufficient to complete a skirt, it was not going to finish up a dress.  Enter - New Look 0926, stitched up from a nice weight linen blend in 2016.  Back then I chose patterns based on easy to sew lines and no closures!!!  It served me well and was worn to bits!  Below it is pictured on a trip that began in Chicago and took us across country to Montana and Glacier National Park, then on to Vancouver, Victoria, and Seattle!!!


However, when I pulled it out this spring, it just wasn't working.  Don't know if it was me or the fabric had stretched out with wash and wear, but it just hung.  Too big and lifeless.  I tried twisting and stitching up the shoulder seams per Roo's suggestion and wore it that way a couple of times, but....nope.  But, when organizing my stash, I found a bit of this same fabric left and it matched the runner perfectly!!!  Hmmm....  What could I do with that?  Which brought me to this dress ~


I made this dress up in a stable knit back in 2017.  It too has traveled across the country as well as a large part of the globe and is well used in my wardrobe still!  Further, it is made up in three sections.  Perfect for using the table runner, the scrap of linen, and the New Look dress itself, once it was disassembled!

It worked!!!  I stitched up a size 12, but as before had to take in the sides of the bodice a couple of inches.  This time I had no problem with loose fabric at the back of the bodice as I had before.  Not sure if that was a novice sewist's error or the fact that the knit stretched out as this is not a pattern for knits!!  And though the pattern calls for a lining I finished the arms and neck with bias binding made with the last scrap of the runner!

Pretty proud of how I utilized the design in making the darts!!!

Happy to have given an old dress and unused table runner new life!!!  I love it!  Sew, make and live sustainably and chaotically! ~ les

2 comments: