Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Sew Chaotically! ~ Ooops I did it again!!! Quilt #3!

Earlier this month I finished the quilt that is to be the REAL housewarming gift for a dear one that I thought I was making when Brent co-opted my very first quilting adventure as his own!  It is for one of my many "adopted" kiddo's who is just the sweetest!  He has done so well for himself and built (literally with his own hands) a lovely home.  I couldn't be more proud of him!  I collaborated with him as to his preferred style and colors.  Then, armed with pics of his decor and his bestie, Roo - I was off to JoAnn's.  Rose is great at color, pattern and knowing Joseph, so she selected most of the fabric I used.  They were all Kona cottons.  The backing was ordered from Fabric.com.  The batting is Quilters Dream 80/20 cotton/poly I ordered from Amazon.  We tried to use the shades of blue, grey, and turquoise as well as a rich brown border, to compliment those Joseph prefers and used in his beautiful home.


Here are the inspo shots from the quilt's home-to-be:



I offered JoJo several design options which he narrowed to three.  Given the colors and prints we could find I picked this Peaches and Cream quilt pattern/tutorial from Simple Simon and Company as the basis of my design, although I didn't follow it exactly.




I used my usual DMC cotton perle #8 floss for the quilting, keeping it linear and simple.  


I marked straight lines through the pieces and traced a simple lattice design with my hera marker around the border as you can see in this detail pic.  Perhaps unconventionally, I loaded the quilt (it is only a 60X60 throw) on my frame initially, positioned so that the majority of the lines were set for stitching in a right to left manner.  Once I had completed all of those on the quilt, I re-loaded it positioned such that the fewer but what had been perpendicular rows were now ready for right to left stitching as well.  While stitching "upward" is doable on the fame, and I did so in both my previous quilts, working right to left is far easier.  Not sure if one is really supposed to do it that way, but I did and it worked a treat!
 

It was such a fun project all around!  I am really happy with how it turned out and can't wait to see it where it belongs!

I have already pieced this queen sized top for Freddo.  Another fun collaboration in color and design.  But it will be just a minute (Ha!) before it is quilted as it will be quite a project and I have another throw I am piecing currently and is up for quilting next.  It's been really fun to try to make things that fit the color and style preferences of the owners to be!


Feeling blessed with the pleasure found in making.  Wishing you all small joys. ~ les

2 comments:

  1. It's so beautiful! Hes gonna love it... I'll send him this link too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabrics you selected were just perfect!!! I can't wait to give it to him! Love you!

      Delete