Tuesday, January 19, 2021

New year, New Career??? VACCINES!!!!!

No human on the planet has been unscathed by the crazy of 2020!  My heart aches for those who have lost loved ones to the Coronavirus.  Lost jobs and homes.  Lost their own previously healthy status.  Lost the ability to visit family and friends.  Struggled to help the rest of us attain supplies and groceries.  Put forth Herculean efforts to teach our children whether in classrooms or their homes.  For those who refuse to protect themselves and those around them through simple travel restrictions and mask wearing - I have zero respect or sympathy.

I have been far more fortunate than most.  My four children remain healthy despite working on the front lines in restaurants, doctor offices and school classrooms.  And while I know many who have suffered from this unrelenting virus, some paying the ultimate price, most of those near and dear to me remain well.  Further, B and I were blessed with the option to stay home together and the wherewithal to entertain ourselves.  Through his work as a healthcare provider he was allowed a Covid vaccine a few weeks ago and is eagerly awaiting his second dose.

2021 has certainly brought more horrors as hate filled marauders invaded, looted, and vandalized our Capitol - beating and killing police officers, threatening our lawmakers, and attempting to overturn a free and fair election - just because they didn't like the outcome.  Because a horrible man with no conscience, no belief in democracy, no willingness to do anything for anyone other than himself - told them to.  2021 brought the grim total of deaths due to the Coronavirus to more than 400,000 souls - here - in the United States of America.  There are now more than 24 million cases in this country alone.

Still, I am not without hope.  With intelligent leadership and the obvious result of unchecked viral spread, I am hopeful that more Americans will wear masks, utilize common sense, show respect for their fellow man.  I am hopeful that sane leaders and peer pressure from the vast majority of Americans who believe in justice and the rule of law will tamp down the crazy that has been spread in the dark corners of the internet and from the bully pulpit.  Finally, though it will take time, I am incredibly hopeful that vaccinations will turn the tide in this epidemic.   To that end....


I am now on a team through our local health department to provide those very vaccinations!!!  There are those who say such a position is below my pay grade.  That I am over trained.  Given the current state of our world, I can't think of any better way to spend my time and skills!  I have the blessings of my peeps - albeit with some trepidation.  I was not able to attain my vaccine as a healthcare provider until AFTER I started working.  Not ideal.  But, as the powers that be won't allow healthcare workers a vaccine without proof of employment - nor are folks with risk factors (missing lung, asthma, post chemo - though I am probably out of the woods with that last - in my case) currently allowed a vaccine unless they meet some other criteria like age, etc. - that's the breaks.  Given the vaccines take place in a "drive by" fashion and the fact that I am actually trained to protect myself from communicable diseases - the Guardians of my Galaxy have relented!  It feels good to be productive.  To do SOMETHING to help.

My path over the past two years has been - well, I really don't know the words!  I left my practice of 13 years as a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner jam packed with valuable lessons, incredible friends, and amazing patients with mixed feelings.  I was sad to leave, but had great plans of a dream trip to Italy with B and finding a new position closer to home on our return.  All of that was not to be.  Instead, just days after my last work day and a few weeks before our scheduled departure - my "last scan" for melanoma revealed ex-goblet cell adenocarcinoma of the appendix.  Damn!  Trip canceled.  Multiple surgeries and multiple organ removal was followed by nasty ass chemo.  My return to health was infuriatingly slow.  Poop patrol in a manner conducive to leaving the house seemed insurmountable at times.  But through amazing care and encouragement from my peeps, endless gardening shows (Thank you, Monty Don!!!), actual gardening, sewing and gradually increasing exercise, I worked my way back!  Early plans to rejoin the workforce and land of the living in 2020 were quickly dashed with the advent of Covid.  Nevertheless, I am here!  I am well.  I am working to help as best I can, so that ALL of us can return to the lives we want.

Take good care.  Wear a mask.  And I beg you - get a Covid vaccination as soon as you are allowed!!  Much love and virtual hugs ~ les

4 comments:

  1. Of COURSE you are The Vaccinator! Proud of you, B1.

    B3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. For all the difficulties getting the vaccine program up and running like we need it to be, I am impressed with the organization I have seen in the team I am on. Hopefully, vaccine production will ramp up and additional vaccines will be approved so we can get this world vaccinated!!!

      Delete
  2. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for all that you do. The system needs all the help that it can get. As always, you ROCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not much at all, but I figure every contribution helps. So glad you and roomie were able to get yours!!!!

      Delete