Monday, December 14, 2020

Quarantine-while! A Few Good Reads - October

Pages (and pics) I've enjoyed.... 

OCTOBER  ~
  • Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine - Gail Honeyman.  I was blessed to read TWO INCREDIBLE books this month!!!  This was one.  Eleanor, as awkward and diffident, yet outspoken as she was, was such a relatable character.  Guess that says a lot about me!  HA!!!  So many of the things she thought - and actually said - have certainly buzzed through my brain.  The writing was smart.  The vocabulary amazing.  Her mother certainly had resonating characteristics! Where else might I read a passing reference to Paros fishermen tenderizing octopus by beating them against rocks?  An experience I have actually witnessed!!!!  I don't want to give too much away.  But, please!!!  Give this one a read.  Through her struggle there is redemption and a great deal of humor.  I will never ever forget Eleanor!!!
  • Lunch at the Picadilly - Clyde Edgerton.  Meh.  I've read and enjoyed some of Edgerton's other books.  I was probably drawn to this one because of the many lunches I shared with my Granny at Morrison's.  I don't know.  The characters all seemed a bit tired.  Perhaps that was the point?  Maybe I just wasn't in the mood.  But, I couldn't find a real value in the tale.
  • The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Annie Barrows and Mary Ann Schaffer.  YES!!!  Lightening can strike twice in the same month!  A truly incredible work!  A warning - it is written completely in the form of letters.  After the first few pages, I was thinking, "What the heck?  I can't keep up with who sent what to whom!!!"   Please persevere!!!  After a couple more pages it all fell into place.  My brain got in the groove and IT. WAS. WONDERFUL!!!!  Matter of fact, when I got to the end of the first section, I turned back to the beginning and read the entire book OUT LOUD to B!!  He didn't fall asleep or leave!!  And I read it to him ALL DAY!  Not daring to risk spoiling any of your discovery and enjoyment, I'll share that it is a work of historical fiction surrounding the German occupation of Guernsey; an island in the English Channel off the coast of Normandy that I didn't even know existed, much less had the history it has.  Now, I very much want to visit!!!  My only critique is that the rambling end could have been edited a bit, but the sum is so good it doesn't matter.  There is also this:  I wondered at the two authors.  How is a book of this sort written by two people?  Well... Mary Ann Schaffer spent her life working in bookshops, libraries and as an editor.  Rather late in life she began work on this story.  Her manuscript was accepted for publication in 2006, but a good deal of work remained. Unfortunately, about that time Ms. Schaffer began to have significant health problems.  She asked her niece, Annie Barrows, a children's book author, to assist with the editing and rewrite, which she did.  Sadly, Ms. Schaffer passed before publication in 2008.  A story of partnership and love behind and on its pages.  The characters of this book touched my soul.  Their letters demonstrate the best and worst of human nature, the power of love, and the incredible ability of the written word to inspire and sustain us. 
  • The Help - Kathryn Stockett - the film.  Films rarely do justice to a book and almost NEVER make it better.  However, this one and "A River Runs Through It" are exceptions.  I'd seen this before.  But, these characters brought to life as they are by Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer, Emma Stone, Jessica Chastain, and the entire cast is something else again.  It is heartbreaking to SEE what white privilege once looked like and get real about its continued presence today.  I broke down in sobs right in the middle of it.  Given what we see in the streets of our nation TODAY - it is clear to me that we have a long way to go.  I pray to whatever gods may be that we do the work.  That we make our society a place of support, respect, and safety for all.  No matter the color of your skin. 
Written words have made me think, feel, learn.  Books like these give me hope.  Happy reading ~ les

No comments:

Post a Comment