Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Sew Chaotically! ~ Plaid top M7890

This little project was a fun challenge.  In going through my stash for bits and bobs suitable for mask making I ran across this fabric that has probably been sitting on a shelf for about twenty years!  Too thin for masks.  Not sure why I made the purchase.  But...  It was a nice quality woven plaid in jewel tones. What to do?

I decided I could make it work as a wearable toile of McCall's 7890; a shirt dress with a diagonal button placket that I picked up on a whim in a $1.99 pattern sale but then felt unsure about.  Decision made and it was off to the races.



I stitched up a size 12.  Given my limited yardage and desire for pattern matching, cutting it was a bit of a challenge!  I obviously shortened it.  I was forced to take some of the volume out of the sleeves and had to piece the button band.  Technically the plaid at the top of the sleeve is "up-side-down" compared to how it is utilized in the bodice - still - I think it works!!  The pattern calls for the sleeves to be finished with a small cuff or elastic, but I decided I liked them simply hemmed.


Still not sure if the asymmetric button placket would drive me crazy in a dress, but it hangs nicely and is not distracting in this top. 



Happy to have had a fun diversion in this crazy time.  Glad to have transformed a piece of fabric from my shelves into a useful, pretty garment.  Stay safe!  VOTE!!!  - les

No comments:

Post a Comment