Monday, August 3, 2020

Beautiful music - from a dear friend I have never met


Melanoma has stolen much from me.  I have lost the concept of my future, of being the "master of my fate" that I once held.  Over 20 surgical scars and vitiligo combine to create all the insecurities such damage places on ones sense of self - of beauty.  Nerve damage and all sorts of nifty residuals from treatment are just part of my daily routine.  I must take care as I start conversations or report results from an endless relay of scans and follow-up appointments to dear ones lest I send them into a panic, as it is not only I who have lost the usual comfort and optimism one might otherwise have in my "health".  I have cost my family a fortune in dollars, time, and worry.  I have witnessed the devastation that melanoma can unleash upon its victims and their families.  The stress and strain of such a diagnosis is not easily borne.  My heart aches for the dear ones I have lost to this wretched disease.

Still, I have gained as well.  I am perhaps more resilient than I would have else wise been.  My loved ones and I have learned what REALLY matters.  I like to think that I take more care to actively appreciate what I do have.  My delight and joy in "the little things" might be considered extreme!  I am more determined than ever to remain strong. Cause after all ~ F@*$ MELANOMA!!!!  But the greatest gift melanoma unwittingly shared is all the amazing people I have "met" from across the globe.  Some in person, some only virtually. They have brought me love, laughter, and a camaraderie for which I am eternally grateful.

One such soul, is my dear Anne-Louise.  She has had an incredible fight with the beast and experienced side effects from her treatment that would have left a lesser soul completely debilitated.  But, not her.  She hails from Australia and, among other things, is Associate Principal Viola for the Sydney Symphony Orchestra.  I have long told her that I wanted to hear her play her fiddle one day!!!  With B's desire to visit Australia I had a real hope that I could make it happen.  But, with the crazy that is the world in general today - the promise of a visit became even more tenuous.  Until now...

Today, Anne-Louise posted this on MPIP, the patient forum for the Melanoma Research Foundation:

Music For Bubbles ~ 

Hi All.  Since we're probably not going to see each other personally for maybe years, I wanted to dedicate this performance to Bubbles who is so helpful, knowledgeable and tireless on all of our behalves. (Plus I'm trying to get more likes than my colleagues hehe!)

Hope you enjoy it.

Love to all and stay safe, Anne-Louise


Please, please, please give her performance a listen.  It is so beautiful.  Brent and I sat at the kitchen table this morning, listening.  Tears in our eyes.  Touched by the sheer loveliness of the music, the wonder that a human can bring such sounds from wood and string, knowing how much Anne-Louise has endured yet continues to have the strength of spirit to share her talents with the world.

Thanks so much, my friend.  For sharing.  For your music.  For being you.  We may no longer be the "masters of our fates", but we remain very much the "captains of our souls".

Love, les

P.S. Hit that LIKE button, y'all.  Cause, you know - F@*$ MELANOMA!!!!

4 comments:

  1. as i think back over the horrors of the beast from a certain space of time . . . almost nine years . . . i understand the positives you have gained from following this treacherous path. the folks you have met and supported . . . those who have held you in the palm of their hand. i have felt the personal devastation but also the love of strangers. For each of us who are able to grasp that support and continue to learn to thrive i applaud you all. Anne-Louise you make the trek worth while. you share your soul as only a musician can. peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hold you and yours in my heart always, Jeanne!

      Delete