Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Sew Chaotically! ~ B5895 (top and bottom) and the best bod for a cropped Linden


I've found that creating and culling work hand-in-hand to build the most functional wardrobe!!!  Sometimes both processes are facilitated when garments find the right home/bod!  That was certainly the case for this cropped Linden, pieced from scraps, that I made for myself.  Making deets here!!  I thought it was super cute, but never wore it as it was really TOO short for my liking!  Enter - Roo's Spring Capsule Wardrobe!!!


Given her style, age and height - it is PERFECT for her and handily goes with the wardrobe I was building!!!
Then there are these PANTS!!!  Also, originally made for me using a really nice stretch denim from JoAnn's and B5895 (Here's the tale of that making:  The Tale of the $10.00 pants - B5895  FYI - lesson learned:  Fabric quality makes a difference!!!  HA!) So while this version was certainly wearable - (The tan pair has gone the way of the dodo!!!) - I just didn't love them.   On a whim, Roo tried them - "backwards"!  A little hemming and they are perfect for her!!!   Take it from Roo and Oona - when it comes to garments - if you don't like it "right way around" try it "backwards"!!!  It doesn't work ALL the time, but sometimes it does!!!
Rosie loves and looks so cute in cropped tops, so I just had to try the top included in B5895 for her as well.  I had about a yard of this "number" printed cotton that I picked up from JoAnn's awhile back, with the vague idea of making my mathematician some sort of top from it eventually!  Given the way her little capsule wardrobe was coming together I knew it was time and this was the top.  However, my chaotically precise approach left me lacking sufficient fabric for the entire top!  Luckily, I had a bit of white cotton of  similar weight that I was able to use for the inner collar/facing piece.  Gotta say, I think that contrast  made the top much better than it would have been otherwise!!!  I'm telling you - being Chaotically Precise works!!!

This top had some of the weirdest shaped pieces I've ever worked with!!  Getting all the pieces of the collar and facing to come together properly at the nape of the neck was a little bit of a challenge, but the directions were fairly clear and the pieces did magically fit as prescribed!
With a little black tank under it, she has already had rave reviews from her students and fellow teachers at work.  Her students dubbed her "So retro!!!" by way of high praise!  Worn here with newly made Landers, when the weather warms, I know she will be able to incorporate it in many downtime looks as well.  She has already requested another, possibly in a yellow solid to wear alone or as a little "cardigan" over tee-shirt dresses.  

Best Girl!  Best Teach!  SEW much fun working on her wardrobe!  The tale of two Landers with identical measurements for very different bodies coming soon!  Sew chaotically! - les

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving Rosie's new wardrobe! She looks great in everything!

    ReplyDelete