Friday, April 26, 2013

Running on the mountain is for the birds....and melanoma and asthma....and me

Running this morning was accompanied by a beautiful symphony of sound and color.  Blue birds in their fresh spring plumage flitted about while red birds chirped, doves cooed, titmice and chickadees twittered.  The wrens, sparrows, and thrushes meddled about in the leaves and low bushes.  Even crows had to shout raucously as a pileated wood pecker flapped by. Hawks soared upward on invisible air currents.  And Z and I jogged on.

Maybe I have ODD....oppositional defiant disorder.  But if you tell me:  "Oh, just wait til after you have that baby...then you'll be an old sow belly."  "Huh!  You'll see when you turn 40, you won't stay trim then."  "With your asthma and now lung surgery, you won't be able to run like you did."  "I just don't think, with all that treatment for melanoma, you should keep doing all that."  It must trigger something in me....to the tune of....That won't be stopping me!  Never gonna happen!!  I realize there are points that can render activity limited and ability, despite desire, negated and out of ones control.  So far, I have been lucky enough to regain strength and stamina when it has been temporarily removed.  It has not been easy, but as long as I can....for myself and all those who cannot...I will continue to run and be as active as possible.

So for all the naysayers, well intentioned and otherwise....keep on talking.  The birds and I will keep celebrating...for as long as we can.

Enjoy what you can do today. - c

3 comments:

  1. See Les Run!!!!! and run and run and run!!!!! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Run on, Les! Just got back from a run of my own, and mom immediately showed me your post. Well, I say 'immediately'... Really it was right after I said, "One of my best runs yet. I feel like it's a big 'Suck It' to everything that hasn't wanted to work lately - my brain, my depression, the hospital."

    It could just be the endorphins, but I feel like running's a type of victory. A way of saying to all the obstacles, 'You can try as hard as you like, but I'm not going to stop, I'm going to keep running right by you as long as I can, and I'm going to get stronger while doing so.'

    So I'll keep running as long as you do, and the days you can't, I'll run a little harder for you, deal?

    - kidlet

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got yourself a deal!!!! And...it's not the endorphins...it's all YOU!!!! Way to go! I like ODD!!!!! OR, in the words of one of mine and Rose's favorite characters:
    "You like pissed off? Watch this!"
    I'll be watching.

    ReplyDelete