Saturday, August 5, 2023

Sew Chaotically! ~ Quilt #6 - An Everyday Quilt

 I love the sashiko patchwork quilt I made for our bed.  However, it is heavy and very warm for summer, so I decided to put together a simple one out of scraps I had from Freddo's and other bits and bobs.

I think the colors and pattern turned out really well for the room and what was in my head.  It was easy and quick to stitch the top together.

I made binding for the edges.  The quilting was simple and linear.  I was a bit worried about tunneling given that pattern but it has been washed several times and hasn't been an issue.  Still, lessons were learned!!!  I used an old sheet for the backing.  Lots of quilters love using them.  Perhaps their sheets are better than mine, but I will not be doing that again.  It didn't give me the extra space to manipulate the backing as I would have liked and it was not easy to keep smooth. Finally, I will NEVER use Hobbs Heirloom batting ever, ever again!!!  It comes in a roll and when you roll it out flat it is all warped with bulges and stretched wonky from being wound tightly upon itself.  Plus it was not one piece, but a patchwork of irregularly shaped pieces the factory had smished together.  All this combined to make a smooth layer almost impossible!!!  Not a fan!  (Much prefer Quilter's Dream, both the 80/20 poly/cotton and the bamboo/silk blends!)

Still, we have enjoyed it this summer and I am very happy with how it turned out!!! Now on to the next one!  Sew and live chaotically! - love, les

2 comments:

  1. The strips help me sleep straight. And the bed monitor is great !

    ReplyDelete