Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Sew Chaotically! ~ Summer project of scrap busting summer tops! And a study in hems...

Throughout the summer, I've worked on what turned out to be a fun and useful little project.  In an effort to do some stash/scrap busting and come up with some functional easy tops I got to play, practice different hemming/sewing techniques, and achieve my goal.

First up was the FREE pattern, Frances, from Fibre Mood.  

I used almost the last bit of this pretty blue crepe - more on that below!  It was first used to make Sew Liberated's Matcha Top back in 2018 ~ 

When they say this top is "loose fitting" - that is no exaggeration!  I ended up making size XS, though my measurements indicated size M per the instructions, and it is perfectly loose and flowy.  The pattern is designed to have the neckline dip lower in the back than the front.  Since I am not a fan of that, I just used the back piece for the front and front for the back!   It worked a treat!  I finished the neckline with home-made binding, made with leftover fabric bits from a skirt I made 20 plus years ago!  It is so pretty!  Due to fabric constraints I pieced the back.  Here, I used my rolled hem foot.  It provides a beautiful result, though you have to keep a very consistent placement of the fabric to the foot or you will have a bit of a mess. Stopping and starting can also be a challenge.  There are many good tutorials on using the foot so I won't even try to explain, but this was a good garment to practice on!



Next up was my attempt to salvage some fabric I used in making a bias cut skirt from one of the Big 4 pattern companies back in 2012.  Between my negligible sewing skills (I didn't start sewing in earnest until 2017) and the machine I had at the time (He was not kind to fragile fabrics!) - it was a disaster!!!!  The seams were a bungled mess and my handstitched hem wasn't much better.  I wore it as a beach coverup for a bit and then it languished in a box of scraps.  But, the fabric was still pretty and surely it could become something!  I took it apart and after combining some artful piecing with my TNT Tate Top, also generously free, from Workroom Social....

...Ta dah!!!  I think she's pretty!  I used bias binding made from some shirting that remained after hacking this York Top!  I machine stitched it on, but hand stitched it down.  For this one, given the bias pieces and fragility of the fabric, I u-tubed some tuts, and did a hand rolled hem.  It was surprisingly easy and fairly quick to do.  I think it was a good choice for this fabric.



This next top was perfect for the final smidge of the blue crepe above and a remaining silk panel, previously used in making a couple of Lindens by Grainline Studio back in 2017 ~

I used a new to me pattern and technique for creating a rouleau button loop or thin spaghetti strap ~ Maison Fauve's Panama.  I stitched a size 40, which is my usual in French patterns.  I probably could have gone down one size or taken in the side seams just a bit, but I wanted an easy fit so this worked out just fine.  The pattern came together very nicely!  The back finish on the bodice is so pretty!

Roo shared a tutorial with me in which a cord is stitched within your loop or strap for ease of turning such a narrow piece.  I didn't have an appropriate cord on hand, but did have this bit of a tie from a ready-to-wear garment (see pic below).  I used that and it worked very well!  After practicing here, I will no longer be put off when I see those pretty little rows of buttons done up with rouleau closures!  For this hem I chose a "baby" hem, which I've used before. There are many nice tutorials out there, but Marcy Harriell's of OonaBalloona fame, is really good!  Overall, I'm very tickled with this pretty little blouse.







View of hem from inside the garment...

...and the outside.

Another FREE pattern!  In The Folds/Peppermint, Peplum top.  I made my usual size D, lengthening the bodice by 3 1/2 inches.  The fabric is a bit left over after finally stitching the ubiquitous M7969 earlier this spring.  The fabric was probably purchased from Hancock's more than twenty years ago!!!  It is actually a lovely soft woven cotton.  Though it turned out to  be too warm to be worn much at that time, I'm sure it will get good wear soon. This little top on the other hand, has been great for summer and will move nicely into fall with a cardi on top.  Finished with bias binding and simple hem.


Since I was on a roll and there was the tiniest bit of this lovely Liberty of London fabric left from making Le Laboratoire Familial's Scarlett Blouse, what better use, than my old stand by?  Another Tate!!!  Pieced in the back and cropped, but just perfect for summer or layered come fall!  Also finished with bias binding and a conventional hem.


Between stitching up these tops, little bits and bobs for the Jammer, and back-to-school skirts for Roo, I've have really enjoyed creating these mostly "free" and useful pieces this summer.  It makes me happy to use all the remnants of precious fabric to stitch up something pretty and functional rather than have them languish in the bin.  Not to mention, nothing feels too precious to risk experimenting and learning on.  As an added bonus, my fabric stash and sewing area are now very neat, tidy and manageable! 

Sew and live chaotically! ~ les

2 comments:

  1. Love these. Will start my birthday pattern as soon as we're back from Maine to see the leaves change. Color me happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a fabulous trip!!! Then you will be home to more fun!!!

      Delete