Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Sew Chaotically! ~ Elastic sleeve top via a York hack!!!



With so many cute elastic sleeved tops like these floating around on the internet (J Crew below left and a pattern from The Assembly Line on the top) I was determined to make my own!!!  I almost ordered Assembly Line's version, but then I had a thought!!!  What if I modified the sleeve of the FREE York Top pattern by Seamwork?????  I've made it before and have really enjoyed it. So....here's what I did: 
I've included a peek at the York I made up a couple of years ago. In making it, I learned the back slit is not required (at least for me) in getting it over your head.  Armed with my prior experience, I made my same size 6, left off the back opening and cuff.  I widened the end of the sleeve by 4 cm at each side (grading the entire sleeve to that point) while leaving the sleeve head as constructed.  I figured that would leave me enough ease and length for an elastic cuff without creating a "puffed" sleeve and scooped the front neck out just a tad more than the pattern calls for. 


Then it was only a matter of folding up a cuff and putting in wide elastic!  As the York has darts, I think it gives the top a nice shape.
This fabric is another cut from my Fab Scrap 3 yard pack.  It is a really pretty piece of cotton shirting with a tiny embossed design on it that is hard to capture in pics.  It does wrinkle like a beast, but I like it.




I think it worked!!!  Sew Chaotically!! ~ les

2 comments:

  1. It looks adorable ~ And your pattern hack was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta say, I'm pretty stoked about it!!!!

    ReplyDelete