Monday, June 13, 2022

Sew Chaotically! ~ Sustainable creating with FabScrap!

In early spring I completed one of two special tops that have been in the planning stages for a LOOOOOONG time!  First up is this one.  

The fabric, a lovely shirting embroidered with a thin pin stripe that I was sadly unable to capture in the pictures as well as a silk crepe (???), came in a "naturals yard pack, cool" from FabScrap Online Shop back in 2020!  The minute I saw the pieces I knew I wanted to make some sort of top, using the silk for the sleeves.  When I discovered McCalls 8039, I knew it could be used to bring the nebulous blouse I imagined to life.  I used the sleeves from View B and closure from view A.

It was a fun challenge to work with what I had to create what I envisioned.  I had just enough fabric for the pieces!  The silk was not what the pattern really called for, but I got creative using the pattern's lantern sleeve as a base and figuring out ways to use interfacing and stitching to get the shape I wanted.  I would be hard pressed to explain exactly what I did!  But...

I'm really tickled with how it turned out, especially since they hold their shape but are super soft and pliable with wearing!

Despite the drama and bit of frivolity this top incorporates, I am looking forward to using it for dressy occasions as well as more everyday wear with jeans.   

Check out FabScrap if you are interested in sustainable fabric choices.  They pick up bits and bobs left over from designers and manufactures - stuff that before their efforts often ended up in landfills. They have brick and mortar warehouses in Brooklyn and Philly if you are interested in becoming a volunteer or have the opportunity to shop in person.  If that's not possible, you can always support the cause and pick up great fabric online!  I've use that option three times and have been very happy with the material I acquired!

May you find ways to create the world we all want to see.  Sew chaotically! ~ les

2 comments:

  1. Looks great worn under cherry tree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may need to enjoy a picnic under there!!!!

      Delete