Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Sew Chaotically! ~ A refashioned refashion with Visible Mending! Or - The 'Borrowed' Jacket!

It's not been all quilting all the time around here!  In early spring I completed several sewing projects.  One was refashioning this jean jacket with visible mending.  I 'borrowed' B's jacket over 25 years ago.  It was worn to zillions of soccer games, family hikes and everywhere else.  Over time it became softer and better.  Though, with all its wear it began to fray along the placket and became decidedly threadbare on the back yoke.  A few years ago I reinforced some seams, used a random piece of yellow rickrack to strengthen the placket and a remnant of matching floral fabric to repair the back yoke.  I wore it a good deal, but that sort of print and rickrack didn't really work for my general wardrobe.  So, I re-did it!


I reworked the button holes by hand, used sashiko style stitching to reinforce the placket and collar, applied tiny bits of a remnant to bind the edges of the cuffs and placket, and patch weak/holey spots.


I used a bit of the same remnant to replace the back yoke, sort of quilting it into place.


I do so enjoy hand stitching.  Now my jacket matches my style and is ready for many more years of wear!  Happy stitching! ~ les

2 comments: