Thursday, January 9, 2020

Sew Chaotically ~ This Winter's uniform! - Corduroy Lander Pants and soft Monroe Turtleneck


These Landers in a wide ribbed cord, with just a bit of stretch, first used in Roo's Jacket, have been FABULOUS in my winter wardrobe!!!  I've loved my Summer Landers, which I made full length.  These I made cropped and have already enjoyed them with boots, tennies, and brogues.  Given the thickness of the fabric, I made these with no pockets fore or aft.  I know some sewists can't bear to part with pockets, but I'm very happy with the choice for this pair.  Plus, if you're into the look of Anna Allen's much adored  Persephone Pants and already own the True Bias Lander Pant pattern, then this is a way to get that vibe without purchasing another pattern.  Just say'n!  I made my usual size 8, using the full 1 inch side seam that is given in the pattern to allow for easy modifications, taking an additional 1/4 inch to both side seams at the waist, grading to nothing where the top edge of the pocket would hit.  I used my own curved waist band.  I recommend interfacing both left and right pieces of the fly. (The pattern advises that you interface the left only.)


Now for the top!!!  The Tessuti Monroe Turtleneck; a FREE pattern y'all!!!   I made size 1, their xxs-xs-s, with no mods.  Many have noted the arms are quite slender and that is true!  I wanted you to be able to see how both garments fit on me - ergo the strange poses.  So yes, they are rather fitted.  Best to check some arm measurements before cutting your fabric.  The knit is a thin, gently slubbed soft cotton I think I picked up in Atlanta, but I'm honestly not sure!  Given its drapey quality I thought it would work well for the Monroe, but I didn't want a cowl neck!  To avoid that, I doubled the fabric there (so the neck is actually 4 layers of fabric) leaving the sleeves and bodice a single layer.



Given the thickness and slight stretch of this fabric, I chose to make the inner waistband from a nonstretch, thinner woven.  Plus, it's pretty!!!

Fun well fitting makes!  Sew chaotically!!! - les

4 comments: