Saturday, December 14, 2019

Sew Chaotically! ~ Cozy Celestine Jacket for Roo!!


I am so tickled with this make!!!

When Roo finally decided to part with her dear threadbare, though once incredibly plush and fuzzy North Face jacket dubbed "Monkey Butt" - I really can't explain the name, except that it was a very soft tan fleece though that hardly seems to fit the nomenclature - that served as her go-to jacket since around the age of 14, keeping her warm on runs as well as fancy affairs, working overtime as blanket or pillow as needed, in a recent closet clean out - I decided to make her a replacement!

I first used this pattern, Celestine by Le Laboratoire Familial, to make this crazy quilted satin and moleskin jacket back in the spring of 2018  and Roo combined it in one of her outfits for her #sewfrosting Hollyburn skirt  made of the same fabric later that year. 

I have had such fun in the making of this jacket both times.  With my nonexistent abilities in French (except for food!!!) B translated the instructions for me, but for each make I have pretty much done my own thing!

For this version, I eliminated the lining, using bias binding to secure the collar.  Turned up the sleeves to create a tunnel for the elastic, added side seam pockets, and applied a waistband pretty much as the pattern directs to encase the elastic and finish off the hem.  The fabric is a very plush wide ribbed corduroy with just a touch of stretch in a rich chocolate brown from JoAnn's.




Rosie picked this cute button from my stash.  A packet of painted buttons I believe B ordered from Amazon.  I hope they hold up in the wash!!!

This compensation plate was soooooo helpful in placing the button holes in this thick fabric!!!

I couldn't resist replicating her buttons with this little flower embroidered in the back!

Sew much fun!!!  Sew and live chaotically!!! ~ love, les

2 comments: