Sunday, July 22, 2018

Sew Chaotically! ~ The Amelia Dress, Green Bee Design


B actually picked up this pattern when we were at Liberty of London in LONDON!!!  He thought the lines would work for me.  Later that week, we found the perfect fabric for it in Walthamstow!  On reading reviews of the make, lots of folks reported that it ran really small.  Since they were so adamant about it, I cut the size large, even though I measured a tad smaller than the medium.  Apart from that I'm not sure I can tell you how I made it!  I don't know that I could replicate it myself!!!  My first level of crazy was spent in the search and study of multiple tutorials on sewing and cutting on the bias.  Next up ~ sitting on the floor for hours cutting all pieces individually and forcing the hind quarters of my brain into action in order to make sure all pieces would match up perfectly!!!  I stitched the darts as indicated. Put the front and back bodice pieces together at the center.  Attached the shoulders.  Used binding rather than the facing for the neckline.  Added the skirt to the front and to the back.  Put in the back zipper.  I stitched the sides together and then ~ did that which I cannot explain.  It involved taking as much as 2 inches off BOTH sides of the bodice and waist and leaving off the pockets because my material was so "flimpy" I didn't think it would stand for it.  I hemmed the "sleeves" by turning under twice.  Though the large was obviously far too large for me, I am glad I cut it, as I could then shape it the way I wanted.  I think it turned out very well!!!








I'm quite proud of my pattern matching!  This dress is really pretty, yet super easy to wear.  And the fabric, whatever it is, washes and dries fabulously!  Sew chaotically! - les

1 comment:

  1. So pretty and perfect on you! Sounds mind-bending to make though...

    ReplyDelete