Monday, January 8, 2018

Sew Chaotically! - A Plethora of Christmas pillows!!!


I made a pile of pillows!!  Well, pillow cases...as Christmas gifts for all my peeps!


For The Hills

For Fred and Irina

For Rose and Jamie

For Ruth and Frankie
Each peep set got two sets of pillow cases and two pillows, all designed with their tastes and decor in mind!  I looked at lots of pillow case "patterns" on various blogs and videos.  I wanted to make it such that the opening made an envelope over the pillow...keeping it cute and contained.


Yes, it was hard to wrap my non spatial relation oriented brain around this, as I wanted the entire thing to have completely finished seams.  I should have taken pics of the many miniature FAILS I made before I got it straight!!  But, here's my recipe for one American Standard pillow case (20 X 26 inches):

  • Cut a long piece measuring 57 1/2 inches in length and 21 inches wide of your main fabric.
  • Cut a short piece, measuring 7 1/2 inches in length and 21 inches wide, of your border fabric.

(You can split these lengths up any way you want should you wish to add contrasting strips of fabric or ribbon to the border as I did for Fred and Irina's above.)

  • Hem one end of both your pieces by folding over 1/4 inch and 1/4 inch again and top stitch.
  • Sew the unfinished end of your border piece to the unfinished end of your main piece, using a 1/2 inch seam allowance.
  • Flat fell that seam, with top stitching on the main fabric's side or use a French seam.
  • Lay the now pieced fabric on flat surface right side up, with border to your right.
  • Fold fabric, bringing border side to your left, right sides together, until the edge of your border is 6 inches from the edge of the end of the piece.  The fold will be the bottom of your case.


  • Fold the left hand edge OVER the wrong side of the border, by those 6 inches.



  • Stitch both sides using a 1/2 inch seam and serge to finish.
  • Turn the whole ta-dah right side out and press!

Now you have neatly finished seams all around and an envelope for your pillow!!!

So much better than those flappy, open ended ones, isn't it????

I'll confess:  I had to make this one to get my head back around how I did this....even though I'd already made 8!  Still....
Certainly better than the robes, huh????  Sew Chaotically!!! - les

2 comments:

  1. What a great job. Love the idea of custom cases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ingenious design! I’m really enjoying ours – they brighten up my bed and coordinate so nicely.

    ReplyDelete