Saturday, January 27, 2018

Sew Chaotically! - The Berlin Skirt from Orageuse


I LOOOOOVE this skirt!!!!  (I know! I know!  I still have one unblogged 2017 make!  But....this delicious skirt gets to jump ahead!!  Sorry cute Linden sweatshirt!!!)  I discovered Orageuse patterns through this group of exuberant sewists when they stitched up the Bristol dress/top here:  Mix and Sew: WAYS TO BRISTOL  and thereby discovered this pic from the Orageuse site itself!  I was hooked...with MANY of their patterns!  Then, I realized the Mixers had actually made versions of the Berlin skirt here:  Mix and Sew: BERLIN THE ENCHANTER  I was enchanted indeed.  This beautiful version ~ Bee Made's "Skirt with Indian Colors" was icing on the cake!   I bought this lush emerald green wide rib cord with Berlin in mind during my fabric shopping adventure on Goldhawk road!!  I studied all the hints and tidbits from the other sewists.  After measuring and re-measuring I added 2 inches to the length (at the advised line) and cut the 40, giving a little bit of ease at the hips as that had been mentioned as a sticking point!  I was a bit worried about the thickness of my fabric choice, so I used a remnant of some Liberty of London cotton for the inner waist band and pocket linings.

Daniel Day Lewis is not the only one who can sew hidden messages inside his clothes!!!  Does anything say, "You are special!" better than a little Liberty in your pocket???


























This pattern went together very well.  No hiccups at all!!  I ended up having to take in the extra bit I had allowed myself at the hips in the outer layer, though I actually needed the room in the lining.  This was something "Bee" had mentioned when describing her make.  As she noted, the front lining doesn't include the extra room the pleats in the outer skirt gives you, so you need to keep that in mind.  I kept my lining the "extra" size and made a couple of tucks as I attached the waist band.  I am glad I lined this version, as this fabric is one I am likely to wear tights under and it would stick.  I might not line a summer weight version, but the lining did provide a really pretty finish.

Making the tie and the belt loops (plus placing them) may have taken longer than the entire rest of the skirt.  Turning my sticky corduroy was a little tricky and I may have been a tad anal!!!


I know it's silly, but I wanted to experiment and figure out just how versatile this skirt is!!!






Pretty versatile, huh???  I'm looking forward to making another and a short version as well! Thanks for the inspo, ladies of Mix and Sew and Bee Made!!  Thanks for a great pattern, Orageuse!   Sew Chaotically!!! - les

In other news....
That means I am positive for flu A, y'all!!  Blech!  This stuff don't play!  Oh, well....it could be worse.

Stay well guys!  I still love my skirt!!! - c

3 comments:

  1. Yay to the skirt!
    Boo to the flu!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From sewing to modelling! 😊
    Looks good well done celeste👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! You are both too sweet. On a high note...finally feeling better today!!! I haven't had the flu in years and years and I hope it is years and years before I experience it again!!!!

    ReplyDelete