Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Sew Chaotically! ~ Burnside Bibs

I stitched these Burnside Bibs, by Sew House Seven back in early spring.  They had some fun outings then and are back in action this fall!  I made Version 1 - the more fitted style with a side zip - and the scoop neck bib.  The material was a mystery woven (sort of a light weight denim?) I picked up in NYC's Mood in October of 2020. It was perfect for this pattern as it was stable, but had enough drape to be soft and easy. 

I stitched up size 8 with little modification other than taking in the sides and back darts a bit.  I did create the snap situation below in order to keep the zip nice and comfortably closed



Because the fabric had this nice selvedge, I used it on the outer aspect of both legs from hem to hip so a turn-up gives you a cute peek!


The way these bibs work in both versions is that the straps run through the belt loops and then either tie in the back or front as you like.  This fabric stitched up and took top stitching so nicely that before I really thought it through I added the belt loops.  But, on trying them on, I found that I didn't want to tie the straps.  I had made the fit just as I wanted!  The ties either gathered it up in a way that wasn't attractive or hung too loosely.  Sew!!!  Rather than unpick the loops and attach the straps, I just threaded them through, folded the ends over and stitched them down!  This did necessitate adding a cross piece to the back to keep them from sliding off my shoulders.  Given that I cut a length off the straps, I had a piece ready to go.  Thanks for the idea, Roo.  It worked a treat!!!

They have been a fun and oddly useful addition to my wardrobe!!  Happy Fall, Y'all!  Sew and live chaotically! ~ les

No comments:

Post a Comment