Monday, May 25, 2020

Happy Memorial Day - during this crazy COVID time....


I have certainly had my own frustrations during this insane and challenging time, but they are nothing compared to those who have lost loved ones.  Nothing compared to those who have lost jobs and struggle to feed their families.  I worry about the future of our nation, our world.  I grieve for the simple pleasures that my children - and so many others - have been deprived of this spring and summer.  I am anxious about the future of all our children - their fears, their education, how this crazy time has impacted their families, their sense of well being.  I am supremely irritated - angry - that my own infirmities limit my ability to assist my fellow humans.  While some of our nation's leaders have done exemplary jobs in this unprecedented circumstance, others at the highest level have failed us dismally.  Not being content with a simple lack of leadership and a cohesive plan to work together at home and across the globe to deal with a pandemic that has killed 350,000 across the world - 99,805 of those souls lost here in the United States - they have instead promoted dangerous behaviors, promulgated outright lies and misinformation.  I have no ability to understand those who demand the "right" to be "mask free" with no recognition of or desire to protect themselves, their own loved ones, or their neighbors through the use of very simple measures that would go such a long way in keeping everyone safe and well.  To keep more dear souls healthy, here with us to share love and laughter, able to to see and smell the flowers for years to come.  It is all so much...

Yet, I am lucky.  I have food in my pantry.  My kids are healthy and handling all the crazy incredibly well despite tremendous personal challenges. I have a beautiful garden of my very own. To walk in beauty.  To breathe clean air.  Today, I will share it with you in the only way I can ~

I fell in love with peonies during a visit to London and Kew Gardens.  So tickled that I now have several lovely varieties to enjoy here at home!  Thanks, Bentie!
These pink Knock Out roses, only in their second year, have been so lovely this spring!
These vivid purple irises are so delicate and lovely.  Gifts from my friend Trina's garden!
The first peonies that B planted for me provide a bright beacon of hope.
Lovely poplar blossoms ~ appreciated only once they have fallen to the ground.
Blue berry pie to-be in July - if I get to them before the birds and squirrels!
Sheets of blossoms on the "Ruff Ruff Wood".  A thoughtful gift from Ruff's dog walker, Jill, at his passing.  It has brought us smiles and sweet memories for many years.
Admired so often on our walks in the Smokies, I am happy to have two varieties of wild ginger, with its funky little flower, in our woodland garden.
Loving all the pinks of these Peonies and Sweet William.
Isn't this peony lovely?
Be patient with each other.  Be brave.  Be considerate.  Wear a mask.  Even if you think it is stupid.  Even if you think it is an intrusion in the way you wish to live.  Of course it is.  But it will not be forever.  It is a small thing, that may mean everything, to the person you walk by.

From my garden to you.  Much love.  ~ les

1 comment: