Monday, March 23, 2015

Fault lines and the Hypnotic Eye....

Put this on and listen while you read!!!!

Tom Petty's Fault Lines

See those fault lines
Laid out like land mines,
It's hard to relax.
A promise broken, the ground breaks open
Love falls through the cracks.

And I got a few of my own
I got a few of my own fault lines.
Running under my life
Running under my life.

I'm alone here
I play the odds dear
I go where I please.
Down below the man I know,
Might not be me.

And I got a few of my own
I got a few of my own fault lines.
Running under my life
Running under my life.

On the high wire
Above the wild fire
An old acrobat, on faulty cable
Still he's able....not to fall flat.

And I got a few of my own
I got a few of my own fault lines.
Running under my life
Running under my life.
___________________________________________________
Awesome, no????  B brought Tom Petty, Joni Mitchell, Star Wars (even though I'd played the soundtrack a million times in high school band productions), Leo Kottke, flamenco and many other things art and musical to my life.  While all of the songs are now imbedded in MY brain, and he will not remember them tomorrow, he is very good at picking what I like.  He is also, FAIRLY good, at having the patience to listen, as best as I can share, to what things sound like in MY head.  So....a few bars in....he had to listen to this...(Music HE should know...but does not...while I've known the entire album since early childhood!!!!)....

The Ventures - Tequila

Can you hear it????  The multiple syncopated guitar lines?  The steady snare back beat?  The minor chords?  Maybe it's just me....

Petty's has much better recording equipment.  Better lyrics.  The entire album is really good...and I rarely say that.  Blues, country rock, jazzy soft melodies....and the lyrics....

"How am I gonna tell her that I love her? When words don't mean a thing. And I'm a full grown boy."

"Now you see him against the sky. Believing in his own lies, and he's power drunk..."

"I feel like a four letter word.  I know what few can know.  How angry words can pierce the heart. How a soul can sink so low..."

"When the past gets up in your face.  Memories slide out of place. All those things that were hidden away, ain't so bad in the light of day.  You say you love me, wish you liked me more. I'm no angel that's for sure.  Said you forgave me each time I was caught.  But you still paint me as something I'm not.  Oh, let me tell you the truth.  I love you more, than the sins of my youth."

Don't know about you...but I've got a few fault lines.....running under my life!!!! - c

No comments:

Post a Comment