Saturday, July 19, 2014

Word Crimes!

My children and some friends know what a weirdo I am about grammar, punctuation, contractions and being a Babylonian (a person who babbles on and on and on)!!! Your (as in something that belongs to you) in place of you're (as in something you ARE going to do) is like nails on a chalk board.  Peeps who protest "I could care less!" drive me nuts!!  Because, if you COULD care less, well, that says it all doesn't it?  You COULD care less, so that is not impressive!!  However, if you COULDN'T care less, that means you are maxed out and there is nothing more you could give.  Folks who pontificate on 'Brent and I' versus 'Brent and me', then use the wrong form anyway...give me chills.  By the way, easy rule!  When deciding whether to use one or the other:  Drop the other guy and see if you should be saying 'I' or 'me'.
"I went to the movies," or "Me went to the movies"?
It's easy.  "Brent and I went to the movies."
Would you say, "He went to the movies," or "Him went to the movies"?
Exactly! So, if you both go, you will say, "He and I went to the movies."  Arrangement makes no difference.  "I and he went to the movies" is correct, even though it sounds weird.
Another example:  This basket is for she and I, or she and me, or her and I?
Same thing.  Focus on one person.  "The basket is for me."  If you share it, it is for....?  Yep!  Her!
So, "This basket is for her and me."

 While all that is dull and boring...this is funny!!!  And...true!!  And...awesome!!!

Word Crimes and Weird Al

Are you listening, Miley?  This opens me up to all sorts of grammatical criticism!  So, bring it on!!  It'll be fun. Love, c

2 comments: