Saturday, November 13, 2010

Musical Musings...

Music has always been a part of me. Once as a little girl, when trying to memorize my multiplication tables, I burst into tears. When my mother asked what in the world was wrong with me, I told her I would never be able to learn them, "unless they are made into a song". For some reason, music has always been something I loved and could easily memorize and recognize. Music I've heard becomes engraved within somehow. Songs become part of my memory...certain songs are part of the trip to hospital clinicals in Pensacola as I drove to them at 5 in the morning...others are part of a beach trip I took with my sisters....just hearing a few notes...and I am right back there. Growing up, I was happy to listen to Air Supply with Ruth, Metallica with Kik, Momma's easy listening and show tunes, or Daddy's country stations with Kenny Rogers, Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette and all the others. Belting out something by Bon Jovi, Barbara Streisand, Madonna, Bonnie Rait, Adam Lambert, Pink, or from Porgy and Bess is great while cleaning the house, driving to work, rocking babies.....you name it. Chilling with Wynton Marsalis, Diana Krall, or Harry Connick Jr. is just perfect to me. But, more than just enjoying music, I can't NOT hear it. Much to Rosie's initial dismay, I am incredibly likely to start singing and dancing to the music coming over the speakers at Bi-Lo. At this point, however, she has abandoned all hope (or perhaps embraced it?!) and is now likely to join me. At the movies, I am the musical director's girl. I drive Brent crazy talking about the songs and musicians I hear behind the show....John Travolta's performance may have been essential to Phenomenon but it would never have been the same without Jewel's cover of "Have a Little Faith in Me". GI Jane was made by Chrissie Hynde's vocals. When I watch Notting Hill, I hear nothing but Bill Withers and Elvis Costello. This is a long way round to let you know some verses that are ringing in my head these days.....

"Look, if you had one shot, one opportunity to seize everything you ever wanted, in one moment, would you capture it? Or just let it slip? Lose yourself in the music, the moment, you own it, you better never let it go. You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow. This opportunity comes once in a lifetime, YO!" Lose Yourself Eminem

"I got a short attention plan, can't sit around couch potato land. I wanna do all kinds of stuff, talking about it is not enough. I like my food with chili in. I like to laugh til it turns in. I wanna stare fear in the face. I wanna take it all the way. If you're gonna jump, then jump far, fly like a sky diver. If you're gonna be a singer, then you better be a rock star. If you're gonna be a driver, better drive a race car!" If you're gonna Natasha Bedingfield

"Yeah, it's been a ride....I guess I had to go to that place to get to this one. Now some of you might still be in that place. If you're trying to get out, just follow me. I'll get you there. I'm not afraid to take a stand. Everybody come take my hand. We'll walk this road together, through the storm, whatever weather, cold or warm. Just let you know that you're not alone. Holla if you feel you've been down the same road." Not Afraid Eminem

"Don't cry, you know the tears will do no good, so dry your eyes. Oh, they told you life is hard, it's misery from the start, it's dull, it's slow, it's painful. But, I tell you life is sweet is spite of the misery, there's so much more, be grateful. Well, who do you believe? Who will you listen to? Who will it be? 'Cause it's high time that you decide, in your own mind. Oh, they told you that life is long, be thankful when it's done, don't ask for more. Be grateful. But, I tell you life is short. Be thankful, because before you know it, it will be over. 'Cause life is sweet. And life is, oh, so very short. And, life is sweet." Life is Sweet Natalie Merchant

...and so it is. Love - c

8 comments:

  1. i love music so much that i cant imagine it not being in my everyday life!! i love the way it can change my mood or take me to another time or place!! love my cds that you took the time to make for my birthday. some of the music brings back old memories, while other songs are new and will bring new thoughts or memories.. gonna have to listen to eminem again, cause i only heard the nasty things he was saying....hmmm what does that say about me?? lol my favorite song lyric this week is... i dont want to make love, i want to live love....jason aldean and kelli clarkson.. and i think to myself, what would life be like to have without love or music??? empty is the answer i come up with.. love ya friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to give it a listen. Thanks for sharing! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eminem.....my secret obsession!!!! A little violent at times but hey aren't we all; although i have never threatened to tie someone to the bed and set the house on fire...lol. 8 mile is actually an awesome movie, have you guys watched it. He may be a jerk, but he is someone who overcame the odds.

    Anyways, my song of the week: Pink, Raise Your Glass



    Right right, turn off the lights,
    We're gonna lose our minds tonight,
    What's the deal, yo?

    I love when it's all too much,
    5am turn the radio up
    Where's the rock and roll?

    Party Crasher,
    Penny Snatcher,
    Call me up if you want gangsta
    Don't be fancy, just get dancey
    Why so serious?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gotta love Pink...esp "Stupid Girls" and "Cuz I Can". I'll have to give her new album a listen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gave up hope of sanity long ago. I don't know music like you do, but I certainly love the memories, and skipping through Bi-Lo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, I never liked Metallica! Bon Jovi, Loverboy, Foreigner, Journey or Asia, yes. Metallica, no.

    "uh, check my flow, uh"
    :)
    Kik

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry....there was definitely some metal head stuff in there somewhere!!!!!? :>)

    ReplyDelete