Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Sew Chaotically! - Full skirted shirt dress - Simplicity 8014

I looooooove this pattern!!!  Using Simplicity 8014, I had already made this style:

...which sewed up perfectly and I blogged about here!!!  I found the material for my new one serendipitously at JoAnn's and knew it would be great for the fuller version.  It feels like a knit, but is a textured woven that is very soft, has some structure, yet hangs nicely.  It washes and dries without a single wrinkle!!  All the dresses from this pattern have been given rave reviews.  Here are two posts about my latest version:
Oona's version
Another from MimiG


With this as my inspiration: 
I was tempted to incorporate both sides of the fabric in my design....maybe making the sleeves and collar of one and the body of the dress from the other.  In the end...I decided to stick with a more classic look....
All the parts go together really well.

There was only one hiccough...which Oona mentioned and Mimi didn't.  Per the pattern, the back should have two tucks on either side at the waist just as the front bodice does.  However, when left like that, there was A LOT of fabric floating around and wadding up at my upper back!!!  So.....I made something like curved darts from each fold to take up the superfluous material and retain the pattern's pretty shape.  You can see a detail shot below....

I think it turned out okay!  Check out the print placement on all 4 of those pieces.  And, yes!!  I meant the collar to be like that!!  I'm tickled that I managed it!





It twirls!!!

B has dubbed it the "Paris Dress"!!!  Works for me! Sew Chaotically!!!  love, c

1 comment: